5 Jul 2023

5.07.2023 Poly wet and windy!

 ~o~

 Wednesday 5th 53F. Heavy overcast and breezy. A storm, named Poly by the Germans, is heading northeastwards over northern Europe. It will probably bring heavy rain and local cloudbursts. Winds peaking this evening at 19m/s gusts. [42mph] 

7.00 The rain is due to arrive soon. My right thumb feels as if it is sprained. I am a glutton for punishment by overdoing the exercise. Yesterday it was gravel. The day before is was taming the grass. More gravel a day or two earlier.

 Museum day. No idea what we will be doing in heavy rain. 

 7.40 The rain arrived as I pottered along the road to check on the earthwork's progress. I had heard a couple of loud bangs so was even more curious. A doe and two young crossed the drive and became separated. The second fawn lost sight of its mother as it hesitated. Then ran away in the opposite direction. To hide in the waist high weeds. The excavator quietly went about its duties. Piling soil in a long bank. Though I could see no reason for doing so. Unless it was to make room for more soil.

 13.00 Lunch over after returning early from the museum. Mostly, I shoveled up and wheelbarrowed away waste soil from a recent cable excavation. It poured down almost all morning. With large puddles forming. The roads were similarly afflicted. Gravel, laid on unfinished, sloping roads, following major drainage work, was being washed away. My own gravel filling efforts on the drive are now looking like a waste of time. I felt so tired after lunch that I fell asleep at the computer. Then woke to continue my nap in bed.

 18.00 15C/60F. Very windy and overcast but the rain seems to have passed. Gales with gusts to 19m/s expected from the west this evening. With possible cloudbursts.

 Dinner was a delicious salad.


~0~

No comments:

Post a Comment