28 Jul 2023

28.07.2023 Saddle hunt in the city.

 ~o~

Friday 28th 55F. Bright, but with large plates of thin, high cloud. My shoulders are aching but I feel the need for a ride today. I just have to decide on a suitable goal. Not too far away. I really ought to relax and savour the ride for its own sake. I do tend to try and keep up a high pace. When I could just enjoy the scenery. 

 Despite having an excellent camera on my mobile phone. It does not inspire me to do much landscape photography. The DSLR is far too bulky for easy access on a cycle. Since it must be so well protected. My secondhand, TZ7 replacement is throwing a wobbly and producing strange images at times.

7.15 58F. Time for a walk. Just a short walk. The farmers were spraying a recently harvested field.

14.15 74F. Returned from the city of Odense. 75km in 3h20m. Averaging only 22km/hr. I visited as many bike shops as possible. Curious to see the saddles which online reviewers had suggested. I was to be bitterly disappointed. Most of the bike shops now belong to national chains. Very few saddles were on display and all of them by the same make or models. If I want a different saddle it will have to be ordered online. 

 I almost turned back when I started getting upper chest pains again.    Then I discovered that inhaling deeply helped to rid me of pain. It took some time and repeated efforts but eventually I was free of pain. I was very little troubled by saddle soreness today. I wore my best bibs. While the frequent breaks, to look around the bike shops, must have helped. 

 I examined lots of bikes in the shops and in the long lines of parked bikes in the city centre streets. The vast majority of bikes had fat, vinyl saddles. A very few had a well-worn-in Brooks B66 Short. These saddles were all on several lady's bikes. 

 There were incredible curves on the leather of some of them. Yet re-tensioning them would probably have made them much less comfortable. Perhaps I just need to be more patient with my broad gauge, leather saddle? A Contec "Classic Exclusive."

 It became steadily warmer and the wind picked up after lunch time. I had been wearing my windproof jacket but had to take it off. The wind 

15.00 76F. Lunch well over. Time for a nap.turbines had all been stationary all morning. 20.30 66F. I have washed and brushed the e-bike. It was filthy. Then I greased the saddle with more Brooks Proofide. The black stain was wearing off to an unlikely hint of bronze in places. 

 This isn't supposed to happen! Brooks black is for life! The Proofide brought back the black. Though not quite as convincingly as a Brooks. I have numerous examples and models going back decades. They started turning as I rode home. 

 Have I bought a slightly cheaper, Chinese, Contec knock-off of the Brooks B67? It looked so like a Brooks at first glance. I was sure they had made it and re-badged it for Contec. Though it retails at below the price of the matching Brooks. So perhaps I should have been less naive.There are subtle differences between the two. Though their sizes are very similar.



 In fact, now I have looked at the Brooks website the B67 has no leather join under the saddle. The Contec has a riveted joint in two flaps over a thin, steel plate. Which must demand a very much larger piece of leather. Albeit within the area usually cut away for the side skirts. Brooks uses perforations and laces in the side skirts if a saddle risks spreading under load. Though not on their B67. I punched holes and laced my B17 to avoid premature spreading on the trike. 

 Like the Contec, the Brooks B67 has a single rail for a standard [universal] seat post, saddle clamp. The Brooks B66 has twin rails and will only fit on a tubular seat post from the past. The Contec has stainless steel rivets. The Brooks uses chrome plated steel. I do have to say that the images on Brooks, superb website really are excellent: B67  [https://www.brooksengland.com/en_eu/b67.html]

 Meanwhile, the Contec saddle is an absolute delight to look at. Effortlessly carrying off a handsome, muscular look from a bygone era. As stylishly firm in place, as one could possibly hope for. On my all black, Moustache FS27 '45' e-bike. 

 The flat top of the thick, black leather is as supple as the degree of tension being applied. I am deliberately allowing it to sag, very slightly, as it slowly breaks in. My very upright riding position, on the Moustache, demands a broad bench. Just to spread the loads. There is much less of the rider's weight [me] being shared by the handlebars. 

 My weight has crept up to a skinny 80kg. So there isn't much padding down below. After much research and looking around at alternatives I shall continue with the Contec. It even seems to be better made and designed than the Brooks B67. The Contec has a useful, hex socket head, tension bolt. Brooks persists in using a spanner alone. The chrome on the Brooks' standard rivets wears off and they rust. The Contec promises to remain unblemished.

 Dinner was fish in batter and chips. Mini-oven ready after 25 minutes. The fish broke as I tried to tip it out of the baking tray and onto the plate. Nobody is perfect. It tasted better this time. I must remember to break the next one.


~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment