4 Jul 2023

4.07.2023 A second dose of gravel.

 ~o~

 Tuesday 4th 58F. Bright and breezy. The trees are rocking again. A day of sunny periods is promised. The streams of showers are crossing rapidly eastwards on the radar above and below my hovel on the map. Gusts to 16+m/s are likely all day. [Nearly 40mph] 

 I keep getting a nasty taste in my mouth when I clear my throat. Though I am not showing obvious symptoms of hay fever. Upper respiratory tract infection? 

 I am also aching all over from yesterday's "gardening." The DeWalt battery powered strimmer is heavy and hard work. Even for somebody who pretends to be as fit as I am. 

 The mower grass box needs lifting and emptying repeatedly. Every new stripe fills the box. I didn't want to have to rake the fallen grass. That is even harder work! The mown, grassed areas seem much larger now they are cut shorter. I badly need a robot mower. One which does the washing up as well. Duplication is so wasteful!

8.00. Just readying myself for a walk and the sky darkened. Now it is is raining! Grr?

8.45 12C/54F. Well, that was amusing! I waited outside for the light rain to go off. As I looked around my pretense of a freshly manicured lawn. It started raining harder. Then it became a proper cloudburst. Then, just when I thought it couldn't rain any harder it redoubled its efforts. I had been watching this deluge unfold from the modest veranda [overhang] outside the back door. Finally, common sense prevailed and I retreated indoors. I checked the radar again and a long stripe of heavy rain is coming right at us. Now I have donned my winter coat and plan to try again very soon. 🙄

 9.30 Only 11C/52F! The rain had eased right off. As I went off to check on the earthwork's progress. Suddenly conditions have become much more difficult. Instead of dry earth and a minor bit of dust everything is now wet and muddy. Which means the vast tipper lorries will carry sticky mud onto the road. Which, fortunately, hadn't happened at all so far. Increasingly heavy rain hastened my decision to return. Breaking into quite a trot along the heavily puddled drive. No ride nor gardening is very likely today.

 14.15. 19C/67F, bright sunshine and windy. I have distributed the last half trailer of gravel into the potholes in the drive. The rain had caused puddles which clearly indicated the sunken areas. These had gone largely unnoticed when the drive was dust dry.

 A storm, Poly, in the form of a low pressure area, will cross Denmark [and further south] tomorrow. [According to Denmark's TV2 weather] With heavy rain and very high winds. Gusts to 24m/s or 54mph are possible. 

 The DMI doesn't seem to have upgraded the local forecast. No severe weather warnings and the local forecast is showing a maximum of 15m/s. Though it does show rain all day. I shall have to go to the museum in the car. It has never been very wet until now. So I have no idea what we are expected to do there. Most of the jobs are out of doors. Maintaining the cobbled yard and grounds. 

 I ought to go shopping but will catch up tomorrow. I have several options for tonight's dinner.

 Which was that old favourite: Chicken and mushrooms with chips! 😋

Update: The DMI has issued a heavy rain warning for this area. I may need a boat to reach the museum!

~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment