30 Jul 2023

30.07.2023 Housekeeping? Me?

 ~o~

Sunday 30th 16C/61F.[8am] Heavy overcast and breezy. Risk of heavy showers with thunder. A patch of heavy rain passed just north of us. Occasional brightness. I'll risk a walk. It probably wont be far again. Still no chest pain. 

 Only a few hundred yards. The distant views were hazy. A furry animal lay dead, on its back, beside the road. Probably a polecat. It stayed dry and bright until I got back but the sky is darkening now. Though still with patches of blue. Moving quite quickly from the west. 

 I feel like a short ride. I could go shopping. Just to get away for a while. Though I really should tidy up instead. 

 Which I finally did. For hours. I have visitors coming later. I am using this to spur me on to making a real dent in the mess. Re-boxing and using clear, storage tubs, with lids. To allow much more efficient stacking. It had to be done. If I was to put a summer bed in that corner of the lounge. About which I had made zero progress until now. 

 It is always the same psychological problem. Handling things my wife had collected and stored over the years. Usually hidden away in excess furniture. Things I was never allowed to touch. Until now. Making irrevocable decisions about keeping things. Or donating them to the charity shops. Things I remember being our normal, everyday crockery many decades ago. Decorative glassware, which rarely saw the light of day. Waiting interminably for enough room to display it. That day never came. Not while she lived.

 Should I get some display cabinets to show it off? If only to myself. I haven't made any progress on that front either. Building a shrine to her memory and affordable, good taste? I had plans once. They too have gathered dust. I have the space now. Provided they are all neatly housed against gathering more dust. Tall, all glass cabinets to let the light in. To show them off at their best. LEDs to make them sparkle after dark. It could be done. Given the will. IKEA have suitable all glass cabinets. Though new glass shelves are unavailable if one breaks. At least, according to one reviewer. 

 18.15 19C/67F.  I spent the day tidying, hoovering, dusting, mopping, washing, wiping and cleaning everything. Even moved furniture around. I can see several new options. 

 Now my visitors aren't coming. Not to worry. It finally got me motivated. To actually do something for a change. Instead of more escapism on the bike. Still no chest pain. Coincidence? Who knows?

 19.00 I have salad to use up for dinner before it goes off. I bought some tinned tuna to go with it too. Having boiled potatoes would be sensible. Otherwise I shall have to throw away those remaining. 

 20.00 There was thunder and hail and heavy rain as I was cooking the potatoes. The salad ended up as a huge plate full. With barely room for it all. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I quite like the feel of the cleaner and  emptier hovel too.

 

~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment