28 Aug 2022

28.08.2022 Expanding shrubbery?

 ~~

Sunday 28th 54F/12C. Overcast moving fast from the north and thinning. A sunny morning is promised. With possible thunderstorms after lunch. Cloudbursts have been causing problems in Denmark. With a section of railway line left hanging in mid air across a gap. Where the ground was completely washed away. 

 Up at 5.15 after sleeping upstairs. Too warm at 75F/24C last night. 73F/23C thus morning. No ill effects after yesterday's hours of shovelling and barrowing gravel.

 Removing the vast hedge has exposed some bushes and trees which were always completely hidden. There is a black leafed elderberry and a large Cotoneaster salicifolia which can now become decorative. A tree peony at the back of the flower bed is looking amazingly well. 

 The hawthorn, just in front of them, can be trimmed into a ball on a stick. To let the others shine in their own light. I might even take the hawthorn out. As it is looking very scruffy. From being pressed and heavily shaded by that damned great hedge!

 7.00 60F/15C. An hour's walk up to the top of the hill above the lanes. Distant mist blocked any hope of long range views. It was after 7.30 before I first saw my shadow on the road. After a few sunny periods it became overcast again. Very little traffic but I saw a Red kite and a hare. A dragonfly was resting on the edge of the road. After taking its portrait I did not disturb it. 

 I had a long chat on the phone with a family member. Followed by a short shopping ride on the trike.

 There was a cloudburst after six but it was only short lived. I was doing the washing up and had to dash off to close the upstairs windows.

 Rather than spreading chippings on top of the new gravel. I thought I might lay a bed of free compost and grass it. It will grow grass whatever I do. I am not about to spray it off.

  I am going with a simple dinner. Mackerel on toast with tomato soup and a bread roll.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment