17 Aug 2022

17.08.2022 Post Danmark Rundt.

 ~~

 Wednesday 17th 65F, earlier thick mist thinning but overcast. Farm museum day.

 What a night! I tried to sleep upstairs under a large sheet. It was so hot I was melting. This was despite the digital thermometers all showing the same temperature throughout the house. [76F/24C.]

 At 1.15 I'd had enough and went downstairs to make up the bed downstairs. The temperature felt much more comfortable but I was being bitten by gnats again. Eventually I fell asleep and woke just before 6am.

 07.30. I have been blogging for ages and being bitten at intervals.  It is 78F/26C upstairs. I had better go for a short walk before a quick shower. 

 A short walk, a shower and then off to the museum. After helping to dismantle the harvester two of us left to collect some donated furniture in the car with a trailer. The long, antique cupboard weighed a ton!

 On our return to the museum it was lunch time. The volunteers were sitting outside at the picnic tables. They decided it was late. So I should go home.

 Assens is the scene of the world's best kept secret. Post Danmark Rundt [Post Office Tour of Denmark] cycle race. Assens is holding the short time trial stage. By sheer luck I checked the Danish news just now. There was nothing, at all, about it earlier. Nothing on the stage maps.

 I am going for a ride to Assens see if I can get close enough on a rural section. I hope I can be home before the promised thunderstorms!

 I knew precisely where to aim for. Right in the middle of the short section on the main road. Where I stood  for 3/4 of an hour. Snapping away at the racing cyclists. As they buried themselves behind their time trial handlebars. 

 There was a good crowd. Many of whom had clappers and had even brought chairs. They were a noisy lot but full of enthusiasm. All willing the riders on. A media helicopter circled overhead several times. Some of the marshals waved to the crowd or showed off. Honking their klaxons or horns.

 6.45 74F/23C. It has been veiled cloud for most of the afternoon. The picture at the top is of the Blue Jersey. As race leader he left last in the time trial. The winner of the TT was Magnus Sheffield, a young American. Who takes over the blue Jersey. I have pictures of two riders in the Ineos strip but can't be sure whom he was. He may have ridden earlier than my arrival at the roadside. I have included a picture of whom I think might be him. 

 Edit: Magnus Sheffield's Start time at 14.35 was much earlier than my arrival at the roadside. My apologies to the rider above for any confusion. My image was timed at 16.47. Two hours later than his ride.

Here is a link to a YT video of the complete route.

https://youtu.be/-b9FIVHNswI

 The third picture is of the tricycle, feeding station. With its large, yellow, bum nose bag.. I had taken several little cartons of apple juice and bars of Corny, choccy, seeds and stuff. So I was nibbling on a bar or sucking on a straw at intervals. Helping to maintain my energy levels for the ride home. 

 I needed it too. After riding hard to get there. Big crowds in Assens down near the harbour afterwards. Where there were large screens set up to keep everybody informed of race progress. With high quality, live video of the race. There was another screen set up in the cobbled high street. 

I was tired on the hilly, return journey. So I munched an apple and a banana washed down with lots of water when I got home. 22 miles.

 Dinner was supposed to be a quick and easy mackerel on toast. Guess who forgot to replace the green and mouldy loaf of bread? I have been advised to freeze my loafs. 

 It will have to be fish. With beans and chopped tomatoes. Now there's a surprise. I did the belated washing up while I waited for the fish to cook in the mini oven.

 

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment