13 Aug 2022

13.08.2022 Prairie harvest.

 ~~

 Saturday 13th 61F/16C. Bright and clear with a southerly breeze moving the trees. The forecast is for a couple of days reaching 30C/86F.

 Up at 5.30 after a sweaty night upstairs. I could hear the gnats whining past my ear and was bitten on both hands. The dormer windows were wide open all afternoon and evening. 

 The upstairs temperatures rose well above those outside. Until I had opened the windows. Then they matched inside and out. 76F/24C at bedtime, Unchanged this morning. 

 It was silly not to sleep downstairs. The new/old armchairs would not have to be moved. There was room on the lounge floor for the foam mattress. 

 I started my walk at 7.00. Down to the village. Before crossing the prairie to the forest. Via the main track. The giant field had been harvested but not yet baled. The hay rows providing a fascinating geometrical overlay. Aided and abetted by the contours and the shadows from the still low sun. 

 Ironically, the shadow cast by the forest grew larger, deeper and darker. As the sun moved further behind the wooded hill. So my later images were rather spoilt by the huge patch of deep shade right in the middle of the scene. 116 images so far today.

 13.40. 85F/29.5C. Late lunch is over as the temperatures are probably peaking. Both dormer windows are wide open. The cooling, through draught only occasional but beneficial. Enough to hold upstairs temperatures 2 degrees lower than outside. I shall now retreat downstairs again. Where it is only a pleasant 76F/24C.

 17.00 84F/29C inside and out. I have been practising my domesticity. Tidying and cleaning the bathroom and kitchen. Washing up and cleaning the bath and sink. Bringing in the laundered towels from the rotary airer. Emptying the indoor pedal bins and paper baskets. I have a long shopping list but have been putting it off because of the heat. As long as I have something for dinner I may leave it until tomorrow morning. I did. 

Spent hours out of doors viewing the sun in H-alpha.

 20.30 73F outside. A sweaty 81F inside upstairs. Dinner was mackerel on toast with mushroom on the side. It was superb! I cut down on the mini-oven baking time to only ten minutes. Less would probably have been even better. The mushrooms were unbelievably tasty! The cardboard tray storage in the fridge is magical.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment