23 Aug 2022

23.08.2022 Lumberjack hedging.

 ~~

 Tuesday 23rd 60F, bright, almost clear and occasionally breezy but with cloud blocking the rising sun. Up at 5am after a restless night.

6.40 Going for an early walk. 

8.20 65F. I cut across a harvested field to gain the track to the forest. Returning via a forest clearing did not go well. Waist high brambles! I trod them down as I progressed. Until I could reach the edge of the field again. 

 Back via the marsh pond. Where a few ducks flew off, noisily treading water. I saw my first Tesla taxi today. It is sunny and breezy now. I was gone for 65 minutes in all. 

 10.30 Spent some time in the observatory. Then it suddenly became overcast and so dark it looked like it might rain!

 12.45 74F/23C. Back to bright sunshine. I have been attacking the gigantic, Thujopsis dolobrata, conifer hedge. It is as tall as the house and at least 5m thick at the base. My wife planted it 25 years ago and it never stopped growing.

 It was often all but impossible to get between it and the house! It divided the back garden literally in half. Two cars could easily be parked in its footprint. The hedge's removal will open up the remaining garden. Allowing a completely new view of my wife's, hidden flower bed.

 I need room for the trailer and an outdoor, work space. The trailer is now mounded up 6' high with branches. As soon as I have finished lunch I shall tie it down tightly. Then deliver it all to the recycling yard.

It is difficult to judge the sheer size of the hedge from a photograph. I have reduced its length by a half so far. The plank is 5.1m tall. So the hedge is probably 5.5m high. [18']

14.45 Back indoors to cool off. I am dripping with sweat! 77F/25C outside. 78F indoors. Only one third of the hedge left. I have found all sorts hidden under there. Including the old well and cast iron, hand pump! 

 An afternoon relaxing and resting in the observatory as I captured close up images of the sun.

 Dinner was mackerel on toast with tomato soup and a roll to follow. Yet again I forgot to take a photograph. Was I even there?

 


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment