26 Aug 2022

26.08.2022 Gravel.

~~
 
Friday 26th 65F. Overcast, with a light SE breeze. 28C hot today with a risk of thunderstorms.

 Guess who was up at 5.30 and dashing along the 100m long drive, in the dark, with a very full recycling bin? The dustbin lorry was hovering at the end of the drive as I arrived. Fortunately they took pity on me and emptied the bin. 
 
 With a three week emptying cycle the green bin is soon full. I had completely forgotten to take it along to the collection point last night.

  I had to get up and go downstairs last night. It was 78F/26C upstairs and I was dripping with sweat under a single sheet. At "only" 74F/23C downstairs it was far more comfortable. The difficulty is trying to get up from the "wrong side of the bed" in the dark. It doesn't feel right with my head the other end of the foam mattress.
 
 After my morning walk I am going to return to filling the trailer with more, dolobrata, hedge branches.  I will try to manage the rest in only two more loads instead of three. I have shopping to do in the same village. 

 9.15 69F/21C A warm walk to the lanes. Now enjoying morning coffee after loading the trailer. There was no problem getting all the smaller stuff on the trailer. The last load will barely cover the floor of the trailer. 
 
"Somebody" didn't do the washing up last night! Don't you hate it when that happens?

12.30 74F/23C.  I have delivered a trailer full of "thatch" which had collected under the hedge. Fallen needles and twigs.

15.00 80F/27C.  I had three cubic meters of self-compacting gravel delivered. To make up the steep drop in the parking space where the dolobrata hedge used to be. There is also a hollow saddle in the middle of the parking area. Where rain has washed down off the 200m long drive for many decades. 
 
 I fitted a cheap, channel drain across the drive outside the gates but it was short lived. I ought to fit a better quality one. The barrow is posed at midway on the pile for scale.
 
18.30  72F/22C. A long, narrow chain of thunderstorms is heading north just to the west of us. No rain and only a few distant rumbles so far. I still have the windows open in the hope of some natural cooling. There is hardly any wind. So it is still 78F/26C upstairs.  The radar suggest we should be just under the edge of the storm chain by 8pm.

22.30 67F/19C  Dinner was fried chicken pieces, fried halved tomatoes, boiled potatoes and pasta. No thunderstorms or cloudbursts so far.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment