10 Aug 2022

10.08.2022 Give me one, willing volunteer..

 ~~

 10.08.2022 50F/10C. A bright start with warm sunshine promised for all day. Up at 4.45am. No gnat bites! It is Wednesday again. Volunteering at the farm museum. What will they have in store for me today? My back is aching from carrying my new armchairs. I wish I'd known how easy it was to remove the leather cushions.

 Interestingly, I was helped by a volunteer at the charity shop. The oldest one. Not the younger men. He quietly carried the chairs [alone] from the middle of the showroom to the door. Where I took each in turn and placed them carefully in the trailer just outside. 

 The younger men had been asked to help. But only offered their congratulations on my choice of furniture at the low asking price. The older chap could have passed for me. Slim, though whiter of hair and beard and much less talkative than myself. The ever-willing helper. I hope they appreciate him. I took great care to thank him properly. Each time I took a chair from him. Then afterwards [twice] as I was leaving.

 I started my walk at 6.45. Lots of birds about. Families of Great tits, Goldfinches and Chaffinches. Swallows pulled ridiculous G-force turns overhead. The roadside field in the lane had been harvested but not yet baled. The strips of hay providing visual interest as waves to the low sun. Back home within half an hour. A muck spreader pulled onto the front field and opened its gigantic arms. I took a couple of distant snaps but didn't have time to hang about for a better image. An early shower and then off to the farm museum.

 12.00 I have driven home for lunch. I spent the morning helping to rebuild a McCormick harvester & twine baler. I believe they said from 1940. The machine is parked with wheels at right angles to the running wheels. This saves a lot of space in the storage shed due to its rectangular form. 

 The three "sails" or canvas belts had to be fitted. The toothed cutting blade was removed and sharpened [gently] with an angle grinder. Then the machine levelled up before being set loose on a patch of grain. 

 Harvesting started well but the machine began to clog up repeatedly with excess hay. The machine is only run once a year. So re-assembly and settings are entirely from memory.

 I was explaining proceedings, in English, to several Dutch tourists. Who were staying on the campsite next door to the museum. I captured several short videos but my camera battery went flat. I'll take the spare battery this afternoon. In case they continue harvesting.

 After lunch I videoed and photographed the harvesting with the old McCormick & Deering No7L harvester. The earlier problems with blockage were overcome by re-tightening the wide canvas belts. It was hot out in the sunshine! The harvest was completed successfully. A special patch of grain is grown each year for the harvester to work on. The ground is steeply sloping. So the machine was worked uphill behind a tractor. 

 I am beginning to wonder whether it is a true harvester. Since no grain is saved. A reaper and baler? I had better do some homework. The YouTube "McCormick Legacy video" describes this machine as a Reaper and Mower. It is also illustrated and titled Harvester and Binder. 

 https://youtu.be/NOfJpW5l_kU

I was going to place my YouTube video here of the harvester in action. But Google doesn't allow me to directly upload videos from Google Photos. You know the Google Photos which I pay for each month for storage. I will keep searching for another upload method for posting the video. Patience! 😉

 A large excavator has been brought in to clear an old millpond at the museum. Which had become solid with weeds and then firm soil over the years. The completed pond will provide further interest to the museum's delightful grounds. A narrow stream runs through the grounds carrying the overflow. 

 First thing this morning, several volunteers were standing around discussing the problem of weed removal from this area. I suggested they bring in a digger. Shortly afterwards the machine appeared. Pure coincidence but fun to think I was psychic. If only for a moment.

 20.00 70F/21C. Dinner was mackerel in tomato sauce on toast. With fried mushrooms on the side. Followed by half a tin of tomato soup and a bread roll. My weight is creeping backup again. 72kg!

 It was 81F upstairs earlier. So I have opened the dormer windows. It has now dropped to 75F as a gentle breeze causes a cooling cross draught. 

 I am really enjoying my new TV chair! 😊


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment