5 Aug 2022

5.08.2022 24 miles and a good clip.

 ~~

 Friday 5th. I woke at 4am and realised I hadn't taken the green recycling bin along. So I got up and reinforced myself with an early cup of black coffee. To read the news online. Nothing new. It was too dark to see anything outside without a torch. The bin is supposed to be out by 5am. With only a monthly cycle it was completely full! So I daren't miss an emptying.

 4.45 58F. The heavy green bin has been duly dragged along the 100m to the corner. I carried a torch to avoid all the slugs. It is still a sweaty 78F upstairs this morning. Over 83F last night. So I slept downstairs on a hard foam mattress. It was 78F/28C at bedtime downstairs. I was dripping with sweat when I woke in the night.  A simple sheet would have been enough to cover me. Instead of the thin, down, summer duvet. You'd think I'd be getting the hang of this by now. Wouldn't you? 

 The Danish news says there were numerous crop fires yesterday. Hot, dry weather. Plus hot, dry harvesters and bailers. One stone causing a park is all it takes to start a fire. The fire brigade suggests the farmers prepare themselves for the worst. Fire extinguishers, lookouts, etc.

 My most popular video on YT is of a combine harvester fire. The machine was completely destroyed and the crop had to be ploughed back in. Just to stop the fire's progress. People were pulling up in their cars to watch the fire. Others were trying to creep under my camera as I filmed. Hence the wild camera movements. I should have used a short but catchy title. A similar video with a better title has 7 million views!

 

 

 5.20 I have just let another butterfly out of the window. That's three day's in a row now. It is almost light outside but still no bin lorry. 

 6.00 Finally, not too early for breakfast. The bin men have arrived.

 6.35 60F. My morning walks are starting even earlier. The Roe deer was halfway across the same field today. After some thought it decided to escape. Bounding away through the crops like a slinky. While simultaneously barking with a raspy voice. It stopped at intervals to look back before vanishing. A stealth, combine harvester was hiding under a distant tree. Waiting for the signal to start harvesting. I dragged the empty bin back again. As I completed my walk.

 8.45 Morning coffee after a nap. Another butterfly has just been let out of the window. 

 9.15 63F/17C.  Grey and increasingly breezy. I am planning to have a shortish ride to the shops. The shopping list is growing. About 15 miles I should think.

 12.30 70F, 21C. Sunny. Just returning from my ride. I detoured somewhat and even went off road for about a mile. 24 miles. 

 I was caught by about 20 considerably younger club members out training. The leaders paused to chat and then rode on a little before slowing dramatically. I promptly overtook half of them before they all overtook me again. They all seemed interested in the trike. They usually assume titanium. When the frame is actually Reynolds R953 stainless steel with R957 forks. 

 The weight comparison with their carbon racing bikes doesn't bear thinking about! Apart from the extra wheel and axle parts I have a rear rack. The PVC bag is loaded with the usual junk, spare jackets, tubes, tools, etc. Plus at least an extra 5+ kg of shopping on the last leg.

  I spent some time in the afternoon cutting the grass. Garden and drive. Middle and sides. Then moved onto cutting the hedges. A hundred meters of them on both sides! The new neighbour was grateful. 😊 So am I. It makes our bit of drive look much smarter. Even though we don't own it. We were having a nice chat. Then it rained. 

 17.30 64F/13C, solid grey overcast. I have just finished afternoon tea and a toasted, marmalade coated, bread roll. The silly old blogger is talking to himself again. I wouldn't mind, but it's all the derogatory remarks! He's constantly undermining my authority. 🙄 I'll have to speak to him! 

 19.40 60F. Dinner is a huge pile of salad with loads of boiled potatoes and tuna. I made so much salad there was nowhere for the potatoes. So I put them on a saucer until I had made enough space on the plate. I have a similar quantity of potatoes left over to fry tomorrow.

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment