8 Aug 2022

8.08.2022 Bog standard Plug and Play + DF Velo

 ~~

  Monday 8th 56F overcast. A rather grey day is promised. With possible light showers and sunny periods later. Winds light. Up at 4.45 after a sweaty night being bitten by gnats.

 Today would have been my wife's 76th birthday. I really don't know what I am supposed to do about this. Is there some protocol to be observed? We never really celebrated these events. So it is a bit late to start now. Whatever I do today, or any other day, will only be for myself. To make me feel better. Or worse. 

 I have started cycling again to escape. To distance myself from my responsibilities for tidying the house. Which has come to a complete standstill. Though I did put some crockery away in the cupboard at 5.30am this morning. As advised by my sister during her visit. To reduce the clutter on my new working surface.

 I ride to avoid making the necessary repairs, changes and improvements. Which must inevitably be tackled at some point. Or not at all. It all feels very inconsequential at the moment. The new bedroom window gathers more dust. The balcony ceilings remain unfinished. The clutter stubbornly refuses to go away. As do the logs out on the slowly expanding lawn. 

 Everything I try to do seems to have at least a fortnight's delay. The national holidays are largely to blame. The car's periodic test. The estate agents. Finding an accountant to help me with the official papers and tax.

 Just when I thought I was depressed enough.. the toilet valve has just split wide open and flooded the bathroom! The cheapest new toilets cost £200 equivalent [with seat extra] even in the so-called discount chains. 

 I have just found a cheaper toilet in the nearest builder's merchants. Off we go! In case you are wondering: The old toilet and seat needed replacing anyway. The insides of the cistern and plumbing are all coated with thick, orange hardness from the water. All the fixing bolts are rusted. I fitted the toilet myself 25 years ago. Repairing it would cost far more than a complete new toilet. I can't imagine what a plumber would charge! 

  9.00 Plumber's Mate returns triumphant. One new toilet, seat and standard muff for connecting to the floor pipe. 1500Danish Kroner = £170 equivalent. 

 11.00 In mid plumb I had to deliver the car for its pre-MOT [Syn in Danish] Will it survive for another year? 1996 and counting.

 12.20 The new toilet is installed. No difficulty as a plug and play item. Getting the old one off the floor took some work with an old carving knife. To cut the silicone bead which was holding it down. I didn't have any fine wire to to do the job like a cheese slicer.

 The garage has checked the car. It will survive for 9000Dkk or £1000 equivalent. The ABS unit is shot amongst other things. The car should be ready and have passed the test by tomorrow. I have a loan car for the very first time in my life. 

DF/DFXL | Velomobile World | Human powered vehicle

 17.30 As I was returning from the shops, in the loan car, I caught up with the velomobile. I decided I'd probably never get another chance. So I followed him. For about 17 miles! Before he finally pulled into his home. Where I was able to chat, at length, about the machine and take some pictures. 

 The manufacturer is Dutch and called DF. Comprising mostly of carbon fibre it is of the tadpole design. Meaning it has two front wheels. Rather than a delta like my own Trykit. The occupant proved to be tall, young and very cycling fit and spoke perfect English.

 By pedal power alone he was averaging 50kpg. [30mph] As I followed him uphill and down. With occasional bouts of 75kph on long descents at 45mph.  His skill and nerve at cornering ensured he maintained a high average speed. Without having to start from scratch re-building speed from every junction or tight bend. 

 Practice makes perfect. He is commuting for 340km per week. His high average speed of 40kph [25mph] makes the journey by velomobile a sensible choice.

 In the car, he would be wasting time queuing at junctions and slowed by tractors, etc. The difference in his commuting time is only ten minutes faster by car. This is on a very hilly and complex route involving lots of narrow lanes and sharp corners. I was convinced at times that he had an electric motor assist but it proved not to be the case. Even on climbs he rarely dropped to 25kph. Though he did say it was hard work not being able to stand on the pedals.

 The cowl/windscreen aids speed but makes the machine warmer in use. It has a hinged, reflective visor to block the sun. Though it looks claustrophobic, apparently it is not. 

 Steering is via a tiller. With the option of steering like a boat. Or rotating the short handlebars on the tiller axis. Bright LED indicators and a horn are provided. As well as extra lights when it is dark. Or for increased safety when he is travelling through the forest. The tiny cross section [frontal area] is not always easy to spot. The lights make the vehicle very obvious.

 Hub brakes are employed in gorgeous, large flange, spoked wheels. A pair of 20" at the front and  single 26" at the rear. With carbon fibre disk covers for low drag. The trike has full suspension. With multiple derailleur gears driven by a 72T chainwheel! 

 The level of sophistication and dedication to lightness and practicality are really outstanding. My thanks to Søren for his patience in answering all my questions. 


~~


No comments:

Post a Comment