7 Oct 2023

7.10.2023 Jousting with sloth.

 ~o~

 Saturday 7th. A grey, but dry day is forecast. With the NW wind reducing slowly. Maxing out at 12C this morning. Up at 6am. Somehow I clonked my wound during the night. Ouch! It woke me up!

7.30. Waiting to go for walk. Still rather too dark. I checked but my towels feel only slightly damp. After a night outside in windy conditions.

8.30 A short walk in a cold wind. Under a dark, grey sky with occasional drops of rain. Not freezing, but more uncomfortably cool. My hands were cold and soon sunk into my jacket pockets. A young cyclist went past. Dancing on the pedals into the headwind. Appearing better dressed for mountain climbing. Than training in October. Not a great day for an e-bike ride then. I had better make other plans. The modest 65F warmth of the indoors wafted out to greet me as I opened the door. 

 I was doing some online homework. The payback period for heat pumps makes a mockery of the investment. The only real gain is steady heat output in the absence of a manual stoker for the wood stove. [Moi!] I can keep the worst at bay with my small, oil-filled radiators.

 Despite breaking weather records almost every week now. Denmark continues their international grandstanding [Greenwashing.] The Danish government hasn't provide sufficient funds for their thermally impoverished householders. The UK had insulation grants 50 years ago! Denmark just has rules about new builds. No doubt you can get a subsidy for heat pumps in the UK. Here they hold an annual lottery for pennies. Which breaks the Internet with millions all applying at once.

 My only accomplishment this morning, so far, is to bring in the towels. I just cannot decide where I might want to be. Instead of sitting here browsing and fretting about not having a goal. There are so many things, more useful, which I might try my hand at. Yet sloth is a fearful master. 

 18.00 I have accomplished almost nothing today. Two naps! Lazy git! I found another green shade upstairs. So I tried to hang a 4th light in the kitchen. Over the draining board. It wasn't to be. I could not unscrew the childproof bulb socket! 

 An hour later I tried a larger screwdriver and succeeded immediately. There is a locking tab system which has to be deflected. I was trying too hard with too small a screwdriver. The bulb holder was supplied without its strain relief collar. Which is why I had to take it apart after wiring it up. Now I have to go shopping again! Sunday tomorrow. They are closed.


 It is 20C/68F in here but feels cold. I'll have to light the stove soon. I let it burn for an hour last night because it felt cold. I was fine for the rest of the evening. I am saving wood by wearing a jumper. With fleece trousers and jacket. 

  I'll save the chicken and mushrooms for tomorrow's "Sunday dinner." Probably just have toast tonight. It is too cold for salad. Beans on toast it was. The stove went out but I didn't  notice. I was watching Lupin Series 3 on Netflix.

 A day wasted? Not really. I allowed myself the freedom to do as I pleased. Several billion others will never know that peace.  


~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment