26 Oct 2023

26.10.2023 New [Recycled] Jacket?

 ~o~

 Thursday 26th 45F/7C. Overcast. A grey day with medium, easterly winds. Got up twice in the night. 

 The cooking class is cancelled because of a member with Covid. Which leaves me free to choose what to do. I'll have a short walk to check for flooding. I saw lots of water on different fields yesterday.

 The natural pond had doubled in size and there were several large puddles on the back field. No sign of flooding anywhere near my boundary. It is difficult to capture images of the puddles directly. Because they reflect the dark trees beyond. When I need clear sky for clarity. The drainage stream lies in the foreground and is rather higher than it has until recently. Nothing unusual.

 11.00 I left for a ride to the north west. There is a village charity shop which I have never found open. I checked online for opening hours. Against my better judgement I decided to test my cool/wet weather gear with a ride.

 14.30 45F 7C. Finally I found the shop open today. A delightful group of cheerful and friendly, mature, lady volunteers were in charge. The forecast was dry but there was constant misty drizzle. The Endura cycling jacket kept me dry but was not warm. Fortunately I was wearing a long armed "sports" cardigan underneath. This helped insulate me from direct contact with the jacket. Though I was regularly reminded of how cool it was today. The jacket's material had darkened early on from surface wetness but I did not feel wet. My stretchy cycling trousers were wet at the top from the jacket's run-off. The legs hardly noticeably wet.

 The brand new Sorel boots leaked badly in the right foot. I climbed off the bike at the charity shop and was immediately aware of having a cold, wet, right foot. It has remained cold and wet ever since. Even as I ate lunch back at home. The sock still feels wet and cold to the touch after half an hour indoors. The left foot feels fine. 60km. 

 I ran the 1st battery deliberately down to 15%. To avoid stopping in the wet to change to the reserve battery. The easterly wind made itself more felt. As I returned by another route. To take in yet another village, charity shop. I rode though the forest to enjoy the autumn colours.

 Later, I caught and passed a chap pedalling hard on an e-MTB. Presumably a normal speed version of the Bosch motor. Since I left him standing once he ignored my friendly greeting. I only said "Hi" as I pulled alongside at the traffic lights. Having chased him uphill and into the wind for at least half a  mile.

 I found a Gore-Tex jacket for sale at the first charity shop. Which proved to have a torn lining while I was trying it on. The kind lady volunteer immediately offered me a bargain. Which I could not turn down. It would otherwise have been discarded. Even if I cannot repair the lining myself it will still be wearable with care. 

 I rescued the waterproof, front chest, pocket zips with candle wax. They had become rather stiff. Each pocket is deal for a mobile phone or reading glasses. Ideally placed not to involve the usual acrobatics to reach a rear pocket on a cycling jacket or jersey. My shoulders are increasingly painful when I reach backwards.

 I have never owned a Gore-Tex jacket before. They are usually well beyond my price range when new. It may need to be reproofed but looks to be in excellent condition. It is most attractive in understated, drab green and dark grey, ripstop nylon. Presumably a discontinued colour choice. Since it doesn't show up on the dealer's website. I may just have found a new, lightweight walking jacket. Testing will follow when it rains. It weighs a mere fraction of my Ventile cotton, winter jacket.

 I wonder if it would work on the e-bike?  It all depends on its waterproof qualities V breathability. The only safe way to find out is to try it. Its typical length should not be a nuisance while pedalling.

 The hood just about accepts the voluminous ABUS cycling helmet. Though perhaps the jacket hood should be worn inside the helmet over a warm, GripGrab, medieval cap. That would be better for road safety. Without concealing the deliberately chosen, high-viz qualities of the bright, yellow/green helmet. 

 18.00 45F/7C. I could not put it off any longer. The stove had to be lit. The temperature in the living room has been stuck on 61F all day. The kitchen at 57F/14C did not trigger the radiator thermostat and it felt cold. While the bathroom was at 55F and showed the light on the radiator only briefly. 

 18.15. The room has reached 65F in quarter of an hour on only one split log. 

 20.00 67F/19C in the living room. I'll let the stove die down. Dinner was beans on toast. You know what that looks like. A small glass of milk to follow.


~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment