8 Oct 2023

8.10.2023 Operator error.

 ~o~

 Sunday 8th. 40F outside on my usual, upstairs thermometer. Bright sunshine. 63F upstairs and down. Bathroom just below 60F. Up at 7.45 after waking at 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7am. I only go upstairs 2-3 times a day now. In the past it must have been many dozens of times a day. We lived mostly upstairs in the attic for 25 years. Kitchen and bathroom downstairs. It felt like home upstairs. I had my computer, music and huge sound system for TV and films. Now it just seems empty, untidy and very sad up there. I try to avoid going up there if I can. Many of my tools found their way up there. As being out of sight downstairs.

 No doubt the physical and mental exercise on the stairs was highly beneficial. The stairs are steep. Requiring great care going up and down. Though I never let that slow me down. My indoor footwear is usually a tired old pair of open sandals. The soles of which have become lethally polished. They tend to drop at the toe on the climb. I still haven't arranged a shaded, outside thermometer that I can read from downstairs. Just another roundtoit.

 9.00  Now I need a goal for today. I ought to go for a short walk first. It is much cooler but the wind has dropped and sunshine is promised for this morning. I have the clothing for cycling in all conditions. Do I still have the will? The novelty of the Morris Minor must not take over from the e-bike. Or I shan't get any exercise at all! I could ride into town. To buy strain relief collars for the new bulb holders. The big shed DIY and furniture stores are open. 

 9.45. Morning coffee. Quite still. I wore my down sweater for my walk and was perfectly comfortable. Oh dear. I can't wear the cycle helmet yet. My wound is right on the headband. Too painful! I have a grocery shopping list to avoid imminent malnutrition. I'll drive to town in M&M. 

 12.30. Or not. I had to go in the other car. I had left the lights on M&M. The battery was flat. So when I returned from town I had to get out the jump leads and started M&M that way. Beginner's mistake. Never again! I just hope I haven't ruined M&M's battery. It was down to 2V. I have left the M&M running but need to drive it to fully recharge it. What if I stall and it won't restart? 

13.10 The M&M has been running on its own for at least 30 minutes. I am reading only 8V on the battery terminals with the engine running. 9.5V with the engine turned off. It will not turn over on the starter. I think I have killed the battery! Damn! I could have bought a new battery while I was in town. 

 I finished fitting the 4th overhead light to the kitchen. It sits over the draining board. Filling in the dark corner. It was lucky I used the main switch. Turning off the lights on the wall switch left them live. Two way switching. I checked with a neon screwdriver and my multimeter.

 6.45 Whoops! I forgot to buy more potatoes. Sunday dinner will now require more thought. I used chips instead of boiled or mashed potatoes. Gravy and chips works fine. I lit the stove. One split log raised the temperature from 65F in the living room to 68F or 20C.


~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment