24 Oct 2023

24.10.2023 Roasted chestnuts.

 ~o~

  Tuesday 24th. 46F/8C. Up at 6.30 after a quiet night. Got up only once after having only a small drink of milk after dinner. I am now wondering if I could have dinner around midday. The often heavy meals I have in the evening are not ideal. 

 I usually have to use half, or a remaining half, of chicken plus mushrooms. Half a pack of something  is often more than I need or want. Which means I often go to bed feeling too full. Which can't be good for my sleep or my health. My continued reliance on a small range of foods is not very sensible. Which is why I have toast every other day. 

 I know I don't have nearly enough fruit or vegetables. I have far too many oven-ready chips. Boiled or mashed potatoes are healthier but require more work and take longer to cook. Which just means I should start earlier but don't. Pasta is an alternative but requires tinned tomatoes to work for me. Which limits its application. Perhaps I should just have pasta and tomatoes on their own? 

 I have rather gone off curry as an alternative meal. Almost always involving chicken and mushrooms. The sheer quantity on the plate is part of the problem. Even "Sunday Dinner" means chicken and inevitably mushrooms. A huge plateful of the same again but with gravy. 

______________________

 The local forecast is for all day rain. So I shall drive to cooking class in the Morris. To avoid a soaking on the e-bike. Elsewhere there is a heavy rain warning in the forecast. Which may lead to local flooding. The inland drains are still full. After the record high, sea levels prevented normal outflow. Made worse by the very heavy rain during the storm. 

 14.30 50F/10C. Returned from cooking class. With shopping on the way home. We made several dishes involving sweet chestnuts. As there was a bumper harvest. There was lots of admiration for the Morris Minor. I wore my new, winter cycling boots. Which were very comfortable. Raining heavily and windy. With puddles and minor flooding on the roads. The wind was blowing the tyre spray horizontally. 

 15.00 The living room is just below 15C/59F. So I had better light the stove.


~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment