3 Oct 2023

3.10.2023 Just chores.

 ~o~

 Tuesday 3rd. Grey but brightening, windy with possible showers. The band of very heavy rain is passing north of my location. 

 Up at 7.15. Rumours of my demise, from the head injury, were clearly exaggerated. While the wound site is tender I don't have any pain. I can't wear a cap though. The head band is right over the wound

8.30 As it it continues to brighten I'll try a walk.

9.30 I'm back from my walk . Dry and occasional glimpses of veiled sunshine. Rather windy from the west. North Jylland has had up to three inches of rain since midnight. With inevitable flooding. 11% of Denmark's area suffered an officially defined cloudburst.

 Record temperatures broken for October going back 150 years. Hottest ever September. More record temperatures continue to be broken in southern Europe. Ocean temperatures at an all time high. Rivers drying up or overheating. Rapid acceleration of ice loss globally. Is it safe to say that a tipping point has been passed?

 I have received the dark green, cotton bedding I ordered online. Including duvet covers and pillow cases. With the bed now being so prominent in the living room I wanted something low key and neutral. Rather than years old, charity shop, duvet covers. I'll have to wash the new bedding first. 

 I have just discovered that the square pillow cases fit the designer chair backs perfectly! I thought they would be unwanted extras. Because I prefer the wider, UK style pillows. There wasn't an option to choose the wider pillowcases with the duvet cover sets. So I had to order those separately. Win-win! 

 It is very dark this morning. So it doesn't do justice to the new materials in the picture. Will the creases drop out with washing at 60C? Or do I need a steam iron now?

  First I must do the washing up. There's nothing clean, left to use! It took me 20 minutes!

  I have just remembered that I didn't get a 4th green lampshade and bulb fittings for the kitchen. The washing up picture showed how incredibly dark it is in that corner. Not helped by the bare, cement wall. A 4th light will provide a perfect wash over the entire length of the room.

 12.00 Raining quite heavily and steadily now.  

 12.30 Early lunch over. Going shopping in the Morris Minor. Or not. A WhatsApp chat has derailed my plans.

1.40 Still here. The new bedding has been washed and has gone out in the rain to be aired. I am leaving now.

 15.00 No green lampshades. I'll have to try another outlet of the chain after the museum tomorrow. It was too late to go today. I bought a modestly priced, Philips steam iron and the light fittings I'll need.

 It stayed dry enough for the bedding to be brought back in. I tried ironing it on the table over a rug. The pillowcases went fairly well but the drag was too much for the duvet covers. An ironing board will allow the items to be treated as simple tubes. To avoid ironing two layers at the same time.

 18.45 Raining again. Nearly a month's rain in only a few hours in some places. Flooding has occurred over many towns and roads in Jylland. [Eng:Jutland] Time to think about dinner.

 Well, this is embarrassing. Chips and fish fingers. Again! That's all I have. Apart from toast and tinned soup. In desperation I emptied the freezer compartment of unwanted items. Mostly an accumulation of the end crusts from frozen, sliced, wholemeal bread. I found three forgotten, discounted packs of butter at the back. Still only chips and fish fingers for dinner though. I have added the last dregs of frozen peas to pretend I am being culinar[il]y [?] creative.  

 8.30 The stove has been lit. More out of a desire to dry the new bedding more thoroughly than anything else. The digital thermometer in the living room windowsill. Is hovering obstinately, disobediently at 69.8F.

 8.50. Two split logs, more kindling and infinite patience has achieved a magnificent 70.1F! I can feel the heat of the stove on the side of my face now. While seated at the computer 2.7meters away. The soapstone cladding on the stove will stay warm for hours. The big, glass window is reading 300C. The bare metal only 200C. The stone cladding varies from 65-85C. Hotter at the top. Cooler below.


~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment