6 Aug 2023

6.08.2023 The princess and the pea.

 ~o~

 Sunday 6th 15C/60F. Overcast with a light breeze. A dry but cloudy day is promised. Fortunately I am [safely?] sandwiched between two NW going strips of heavy rain. The late on Monday-Wednesday storm, from the east, is threatening to gust to 28m/s. 62mph. Rain expected up to 70mm or 3". Floods and extreme hail have been happening all over the place. If I am going to move a bed downstairs then it had better be today. It can get a bit noisy upstairs when it is very windy. A bit of tidying to do en route, beforehand, but nothing major.

 More weird dreams based on past memories. I could tell instantly that I'd been heavy lifting yesterday. As I climbed out of bed. Hopefully a walk will solve that problem. I was washing up at 7am this morning. Forgot to do it last night. There wasn't a clean breakfast bowl or coffee mug to be had. 

 Lazy git! Life is not just about getting rid of unwanted furniture, you know! In reality, it is with very mixed feelings. Clinging to the unchangeable past. Yet desperate for change. Each hurdle overcome. Releasing the potential for further upgrades. Like working on an oversized, gridlock puzzle of Catch22 situations. 

10.00 62F. Back from my usual walk to the lanes. I made it to my usual turning point today. Traffic was surprisingly busy but may have been due to how late it was. There were light patches in some of the fields. Which showed as barley-like but with extremely long hairs, pointing upwards. The rest of the crop was dark and the heads were all downturned. 

 Lots of wild flowers and plants on the uncut verges. Skylarks singing overhead. With groups of swallows cavorting over the fields. The deer track across the field continues to be reinforced. Its identity confirmed by muddy hoof prints on the road.

 11.00 64F. Job done! I am dripping with sweat but the bed is downstairs and in the corner. I have propped an old wardrobe door behind the bed. To avoid leaning against the bare brick wall. 

 Of course the bed looks absolutely ridiculous. Far too tall! Like that fable. Where a huge pile of mattresses was required for comfort. When a princess was tested for her whatever it was. Royal sensitivity? That'd be the day! 

 It looks as if I will now be searching for a folding sofa bed. A single. Or a much lower, single bed. Half the the present height would allow cushions. To make it look more like a sofa. Regardless of what I do it will need a complete rethink. Of the room's layout and furnishings. I can't hide the bed as a four poster. It would block the light to the room. 

 Talking of which: I now need to consider blinds for the southern windows. The light blocking, white roller blinds I installed are proving very useful. The white doesn't steal the light at night but allows a comfortable light level. When required during the day. Privacy isn't a major issue on the end of a long drive. The lean-to greenhouse obscures any clear view of the indoors through the lounge windows.

 I'll have an early lunch then ride into town. I can potter about in the big shed, home furnishings shop. See what is available at what price. Get to know the Danish vocabulary for beds. A much lower base could use the present mattress. Just a thought.

 Highly distorted mirror selfie reflected in a very wavy traffic safety mirror.

16.00 65F. Back from town. Where I looked at some beds. Had a chat with some Dutch cycle-tourists. They had almost completed an 800km route. I had a tailwind going. Quite a headwind coming back. 34km.

 Dinner was chicken and mushrooms with chips and gravy. And I forgot to take a picture again. 😋

 Tonight I going to practice sleeping downstairs on my own bed. Exactly as it was upstairs. Sleeping upstairs on my wife's bed, for my afternoon nap, proved it to be too firm. It was impossible to know what I was looking for at the furnishing shop. More research needed.


~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment