26 Aug 2023

26.08.2023 Ever downwards!

 ~o~

 Saturday 26th 61F. Overcast, presently darkening, at 7.45, with rain. The trailer cover is full of deep water. I was going to empty the trailer's contents at the recycling yard this morning. Sacks of waste papers and loads of grass and hedge cuttings and some old furniture. I thought the load inside would support the tarpaulin but the sheer weight has pushed it down. I shall have to start bailing. There was over 50mm [2"] of rain, in half an hour, on Møn during  the night. A so-called triple cloudburst. The rain could continue until ten here. 

 Slept well and rose at 7am. Never heard any thunder from downstairs. I was dreaming my wife had gone missing from a shopping trip. The house is still tidy. So that wasn't a dream. I am wondering if a heavy curtain, hiding the stairs, would reduce heat loss to the attic in winter. An L-shaped track would do nicely. Light coloured curtains to avoid darkening the room.

 8.00 Becoming even darker. Now with a distant rumble of thunder. A load of towels has gone into the washing machine to catch up. I must maintain the momentum. Getting the 55" TV downstairs might be better done with a helper. Though I'd like to move the computer and its desk downstairs. I haven't yet decided where it should go. 

 The most obvious place in the lounge, for the computer desk, would be alongside the brick wall. Where the space might be better taken up with a display cabinet. Though I could have a glass cabinet each side of the TV. With LED lighting, they could easily double as additional light sources for the room. Thereby avoiding wall lighting. With flex trailing down the walls. 

 Unfortunately the double door, IKEA cabinets are too wide to stand beside the TV. IKEA do a single width tower but it is lower at 1.5m or 5'. About 30cm square or 1'x1'. Their display capacity is obviously much lower than the taller, double door cabinets. Though they would better suit the height of the TV.

 I am presently struggling to find suitable locations for lighting in the newly empty room. The previous lighting was meant for the dining table. We never really sat around downstairs. Now I have highly mobile armchairs. Rather than a three seater sofa. 

 Two chairs, or one, can turn their backs to the bed to watch TV. Visually hiding the bed from view. Two or three chairs can be arranged around the stove for relaxed conversation. A fourth chair upstairs can be brought down if necessary. Or the 3rd chair can be taken upstairs to avoid clutter.

 The computer desk might disrupt this flexibility if badly sited. It has castors so can be easily moved around. Cables willing, of course. With the usual chair, the computer desk footprint is about 150x80cm. Rather bulky and demanding low light falling on the monitor to avoid reflections. There are three, potentially sunlit windows right behind me. If I should choose to site it along the brick wall and facing the TV wall. I have discovered that I'd need one or more, made to measure, Venetian blinds. The windows are not a standard size.

 It now requires soft lighting at night regardless of the room's newly flexible  layout. The overhead light is like an interrogation chamber with it hanging centrally from such a low ceiling. It once hung over the middle of the [largely unused] dining table. We only ever ate at the table for Christmas dinner. The rest of the time it was trays on laps at the computer. Or sitting in front of the TV. 

 Perhaps I should consider sunken lights in the ceiling? I plan to replace the rest of the tiled ceiling with boards anyway. That would allow easy access to install the necessary wiring. In the past, the lighting was only necessary at times. To reach the old stove safely in a foolishly cluttered room. Now no longer true.

 8.15-9.30 Local thunder and lightning. Very dark, with lengthy cloudbursts.

 A wider angle view taken from the TV wall. One chair has been pushed back at the end of the bed. This clears the route to the central TV chair and computer. While providing a comfortable spot to sit and enjoy the fire in the stove.

 The phone camera causes distortion. For which I can only partially compensate with free, image handling software. These images show how much room there is to play with now that the lounge has been cleared..

 

 11.20 There has been some periodic sunshine. I have moved the computer down to a small table in the lounge. The glass and steel desk was much too bulky. The new arrangement lies along the brick wall. Between the window and the bedside table. I have a diagonal view through the windows to the approach. In case anyone calls. A view of the entrance hall too. Should I leave the door unlocked during the daytime.

 I can also see the TV from the computer. Which was desirable. My 32" 4k monitor is now slightly closer to the keyboard. Though it could be moved further away with a hinged wall bracket. Or even clamped to the wooden windowsill. It has a considerable rise and fall on the stand. As well as a rotating and hinged extension arm.

 Another patch of bad weather is passing over. So it is rather too dark for natural light photography at the moment. I shall tidy the cabling once I am happy with the new situation. It feels fine so far. Without dominating the room. I am relaxing back into my familiar chair. Instead of leaning forwards.

 13.00 Time for lunch. I can sit at the computer with a tray on my lap. For the very first time without having to go upstairs. 

 13.45. Sunshine. Lunch over. I ought to get rid of that trailer load while the recycling yard is still open.

 14.45 Returned from emptying the trailer at the recycling yard. 

 Dinner was fish fingers and chips with tomatoes. The images I took won't transfer from the phone to the PC. I will try again tomorrow.

27.08.23 Image transfer is now working again.


~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment