4 Aug 2023

4.08.2023 Making a pretend bedsitter.

 ~o~

 Friday 4th 15C/61F. Bright, but very cloudy. Quite windy too from the west. A mostly dry but cloudy day is promised. With local showers. Back to restless night syndrome. I had no doubts that I had been in bed for several hours. More weird dreams. I read somewhere that dreams are the brain sorting through memories. My own brain's attempts to do so. Seem to have that characteristic chaos which matches my usual daytimes. 

 It must be nearly a week since I stopped taking both tablets. For prostate enlargement and antidepressants. I can't say I have noticed any unusual symptoms. No real change in mood. Averagely cheerful, with a good sense of humour. I laugh and talk to myself when nobody is listening. 

 I am still "watering the flowers" several times overnight. Which, in reality means a bucket on a sturdy wooden chair at the foot of the bed. The idea being to avoid turning on lights and going downstairs to the bathroom. Not out of [sheer] laziness but to absolutely minimize the disturbances to my sleep. 

 It seems to work. I usually drop straight off to sleep after I climb back into bed. Having the bucket on the chair lifts it to a safe height. Where accuracy is hardly required and minimizes spray. I ought to work on the brightness of the table lamp. It is certainly required but need not blind me in the middle of the night.

 My late wife's birthday is coming up. I thought I could celebrate it by buying a Buddleia or two. "Butterfly bushes" as they are known. They are supposed to be bone hardy and even grow out of old walls and chimneys. We bought several plants in the past but they all died. My wife blamed the constant crop spraying. While my guess was a lack of light. Due to the massive Horse chestnut casting its shadow over her main flower bed. The chestnut is now down to a stump. The flower bed is fending for itself. In more sunshine than it knows what to do with. 

 My wife loved butterflies, hover flies and bees. Her flower bed attracted countless insects every summer afternoon. When the sun was high enough to reach her garden over the tops of the trees. Many of which she was responsible for planting! Her pencil sized willow cuttings are probably 25 meters tall now. Her fastigiate, red oaks, grown from scavenged acorns, in public car parks, now tower over the wild plums and almost everything else. I am looking upwards at over 30º from the upstairs window. To see the tops of those to the north some 10 meters away. Do your own maths.

 I have just checked the e-bike after yesterday's deluge. The saddle is looking very dull but the rest is very clean and shiny. I'll let the saddle dry out properly before adding more Proofide. The Contec leather seems much less affected by rain than any Brooks I have ever owned. Numerous examples of several models over many decades. The Brooks leather would darken and always show raindrops almost immediately. Which made me question if there was ever any point in applying Proofide.

 8.00 I have emptied the recycling, waste basket into the relevant wheely bins outside. Time for a walk. 

9.00 Back from a wander down the road. It took some time, but no great distance, to walk off the lower back pain. I just checked and the Contec saddle now feels bone dry to the touch. My two, cycling jackets, however, still feel sopping wet. This was after a night out on the airer in heavy rain. The cloud is blocking any likelihood of quick drying in sunshine. Though the breeze may help. There is far too much cloud for any bright intervals. Lumpy grey, without a single blue patch, out to the horizon. 

 A lazy day. It became sunny and warm in the afternoon. So my cycling jackets dried. I applied more Proofide to the Contec saddle without rubbing it off with a rag. It will have a chance to soak in before I have another ride.

 Later I was mocking up a full size bed in the SE corner of the lounge. The clock, the plant and the white cupboard all need to be moved elsewhere. Then the bed can be closer to the south wall. See the image at the top of the page. Am I making a pretend bedsit to become a bedsitter? With separate kitchen, bathroom and storage attic/guest bedroom? Plus outside workshop and sheds in a 1200m^2 garden? 😏

 Dinner was mackerel in tomato sauce on toast with tomatoes. Followed by tomato soup with a bread roll. I may be heading for a serious tomato overdose.

~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment