5 Aug 2023

5.08.2023 And there it was. Gone!

 
 ~o~

 Saturday 5th 62F [8.15] quite bright at times but rather cloudy again. Scattered showers possible.

 Google Blogger software is misbehaving again. I can't move images around on the page.

Quite a reasonable night. In my sleep I was rehearsing getting the pocket sprung bed downstairs. I decided to use ratchet straps on the leg[s] of the base. Rope wouldn't give me enough safe purchase if things get "a bit exciting" on the descent. Though I routinely wear industrial, rubber coated gloves for improved grip.

 I tested the base for comfort but it has much bigger and harder springs than the mattress. So I can't cheat and use only the base. The mattress has a pair of hand lifting loops each side to aid in turning it  over. Even the mattress alone weighs a ton. The base even more. 

 A carpet runner, bought but never used, could be used on the stairs. To provide protection for the bed's cloth covering and to greatly increase friction. The bare wooden treads alone would provide little braking force and might easily damage the bed. 

 The truth is that I am putting off emptying and removing a tall display cabinet. Which is full of my wife's precious cat and teapot collection. I really ought to delay all ideas of bringing the bed downstairs. 

 The cabinet prevents anything from passing through the narrow gap at the bottom of the stairs. To leave the cabinet there is to risk everything being destroyed by a landslide. In the form of a very heavy bed out of control. I don't have the strength [any more] to manually lift the bed over the banister at the bottom of the stairs. To do so would risk an earthquake in the cabinet.

 I have loads of newspapers to wrap her collection for temporary storage. Then the cabinet can be removed to the recycling yard. Assuming I am strong enough to get it outside and onto the trailer. 

 I rather like the IKEA metal and all glass display cabinets. As a new home for her collection. Two cabinets should be enough. With LED lighting to allow the collection to be properly seen for the first time ever. I went to see them at IKEA while I was in the city. They have a minimalism which would do justice to her collection. Rather than diminishing it by competing for attention. Like the present faux ant-icky cabinet.

 It is nearly 9am so I ought to have had a walk by now.

 9.45. Coffee morning over. Only a few hundred yards. A Crash Test Dimmy failed to avoid me. On a long straight with no other traffic present. He jerked away from me at the very last moment. Unfortunately I wasn't carrying my EU Standard, 1.5m long iron pipe. To fend off such scum. Drugs? Drunk? Blind? Senile? Evil sociopath? Choose anything from the traditional list of sweeties. As the auto-get-out clause for any responsibility for the daily death toll on the roads. 

 The weather suggests that I should be going for a ride, but wont. I shall wrap my wife's china collection. Then place it in clear storage tubs for safe keeping. Only then can I begin the struggle with the massive, wooden cabinet.

 I spent a couple of hours carefully wrapping the contents of the cabinet. Not only was there the ornamental stuff but lots of additional"stuff." Like glass shelves and glass bricks. Lots of ornamental fire tending tools underneath too. I'll gloss over the mass of cobwebs and obvious signs of mould all over the back and wall.  

 12.30 My strong, young neighbour was delighted to help me out with the massive display cabinet. It is now safely in the trailer and ready to be disposed of at the recycling yard. What a huge [sic] relief! I'll do the run to the recycling yard and then I can relax and have some lunch.

 13.30 Lunch over. The cabinet is sitting at the recycling yard. A big bloke was dumping off an old three piece suite. So offered to help me unload my own trailer. The car boot lock has given up. It won't release with the inside lever. The cable may have broken. The key lock hasn't worked for years.

  The chimney-wall alcove is now empty. The signs of former heating systems are clearly evident. There was a deafening, oil, central heating system when we bought the place. I removed that almost immediately. Every oil refill was very costly but the system also had to be checked and cleaned every time. And paid for!

 The system installer had arranged large, iron pipes across the threshold of every interior doorway! Making for dangerous, trip hurdles on every movement around the house. There is more evidence of even older means of heating. With filled circles in the brickwork. The airing cupboard lies on the other side of the purple painted wall. I think I was responsible for closing off some of those chimney openings. It was a very long time ago.

 I can now bring one of the beds downstairs unaided. Probably my wife's bed. Though both are nominally identical. My wife was small and slim and slept quietly. So never loaded her bed as I have done to my own for the last 26 years. Spinning like a restless top and sweating like a pig every summer. I should junk my own bed but finding an alternative is fraught with risk.

17.00 22C/71F. Bright sunshine but rather windy. A storm is threatening from Eastern Europe after the weekend. Still under development. I am going shopping. They are busy harvesting the local fields.

19.00 66F. The alcove is so much brighter without the huge, dark, wood cabinet soaking up all the light. The sunlight is flooding down the stairs and filling the whole room. A coat of white paint will lift the entire space even more. The stairs need painting white as well. It can only get better. Time to think about making some dinner. I can't have toast again. Not two days in a row.

21.00 15C/60F. Dinner was fish in batter with peas and boiled potatoes

~o~



No comments:

Post a Comment