1 Aug 2023

1st August 2023 2 Guest/summer/old fart bed options.

 ~o~

 You can skip over this if it holds no interest. I am just thinking aloud, as usual. If the clack of the keyboard means the same thing. 

 I am 76 and getting older by the minute. Will I be able to continue climbing the stairs safely into old age? Worse, will I be able to descend safely? 

 The stairs are so steep that the backs of my legs push my feet off the treads. So I have to turn my size 46s on the diagonal and take great care on every descent. I occasionally fall upstairs but [touch wood] have yet to do a header downstairs. Nor fall backwards.

 The steep stairs lead up to the present TV room and bedroom in the attic. Where it gets too hot for comfort in summer heatwaves. Though it is warmer upstairs than down in winter. That was before the new stove arrived.

 I have tried sleeping on a three-fold cushion, sponge mattress on the lounge floor. It did not go well. It was only 90mm thick plus my over-mattress on top. Getting out of bed from such a low level was unexpectedly hard work! Getting out of bed on the wrong side, in the dark, was too confusing. I hadn't a clue where I was.

 I prefer my own pocket sprung bed with its over-mattress. Getting one of the two beds downstairs will be a real struggle. Getting it back upstairs is not a suitable task for any single person. Even for a fit and determined old fart like myself. Once downstairs it stays. Or goes to the dump!

 I keep trying to think of ways to hide a hot summer/guest bed in the lounge. I rather dislike the idea of an obvious bed sharing the room. Though the duvet and pillow could be hidden during the day. It still leaves a rather large, bed-like object looking rather out of place. The present bed is too high, at 70cm, to pass off as a sofa/settee. Cushions against the wall to make a pretend sofa would just look very silly. Sitting back, against the wall. Would leave ones legs projecting horizontally like a Barbie or Ken!

 Laying a piece of stiff plywood on top of the bed would provide a useful computer desk. Hinges on the wall could allow the board to be lifted up and fixed when the bed was required. Or tipped up to stand behind the bed against the wall. Though this removes the possibility of leaving anything resting on the board/desk overnight. Requiring objects be found a resting space every time the bed is used. 

 A fixed board would require the bed to be rolled out. Making the board suitable for permanent items. Like a keyboard, mouse mat and monitor. Though the bed then takes up twice the space when pulled out. Albeit only overnight or during an afternoon nap.

 The obvious place for a bed is in on the north wall. In the far left corner from the entrance hall. Running parallel E-W with the [presently unused] dining table. Having the bed head in the corner would reverse a lifetime of my lying on my right side. To exit naturally away from the wall on my right side. A bedhead close to the end of the table would be awkward and deny the user a view of anyone entering the room.

 Using the same corner, but with the bed cross-ways. Would be much more visually obvious and [arguably] a bit of an eyesore. A window, quite near the corner makes a hinged board unusable. A fixed board would again require the bed to be pulled out for use. Though it could be rotated by 90º to rest against the north wall overnight. With the same unfortunate issues of orientation. Reaching the bathroom would be in a straight line from the bed. With no real hindrances. It could be done in the dark if needed. Or a light switch provided near the bed. It is rarely fully dark at the height of a hot summer requiring I sleep downstairs.

 Placing the bed in the opposite, SE corner? This would allow me my habitual right side sleep and familiar exit side. I would have a wide view of the entire room.

 Though the bed would be under two of the three windows on the south wall. So a hinged [desk] board would block the light from both windows. So that's a non-starter. 

 While a fixed "desk top" would have the user with their back to the room. Worse, any sunshine would be directly in their face. From either window, depending on the time of day. Albeit filtered through the net curtains on the greenhouse roof. 

No need for a bed type table/computer desk if I can accept the bed being there. It isn't so "in my face" as the other corner.  A computer desk can easily be arranged. The one upstairs can be moved downstairs if need be. Reaching the bathroom from the bed would involve negotiating the room's furniture. The armchairs and coffee table can easily be moved back at bedtime. I do it all the time to hoover. I'll just have a light switch nearby for a dim table lamp. To safely find my way about at night. The other bed can remain upstairs. With one bed gone there would be lots more room for storage upstairs.

 I remeasured the dimensions of the room and found them different to the figures on my drawing.

~o~

 

No comments:

Post a Comment