1 Mar 2024

1st March 2024 March hare gardening?

 ~o~

  Friday 1st 38F/3C. Up at 5am, sweating, after having bad dreams. I am aching from carrying the heavy ladders yesterday. 64F/18C in the room.

 8.00-8.30 Went for my loopy walk in bright, early sunshine. There were birds everywhere. Calling, fighting, chattering and singing. Skylarks were scrapping in mid air while continuing their singing. There was a cold SE breeze. Not a day for bare hands.

 Dry and sunny. A good day for a ride? But where? It is expected to peak at 5C/41F at 16.00. So a morning ride won't really benefit. Warmer over the next few days. I had better have a look at the map. East/West would avoid a headwind.

 10.30 I should have escaped, as usual, but decided to stay at home, Where I worked on the garden. I have cleared my wife's large flower bed. As she was mostly interested in perennials there is a good chance of something coming up. Last year it was all hidden by the masses of dead material and looked awful. 

 I also trimmed the apple tree and cut back some of the brambles. Despite the cold wind I was soon sweating. There is a trailer full if I can get it in there. Without further damage to my forearms from the vicious thorns. 

 The bare earth is now about 7x9 metres. It used to be in deep shade for most of the day, year round. Until I felled trees and huge hedges after my wife died. The shadow of the house roof and chimney are visible in the foreground. Not bad for the 1st of March. It clouded over at 11.00. So I had to shut the greenhouse door again. No more free heat!

 I'd share some pictures of the cleared ground but Google is being a bløødy nuisance again. The images aren't being transferred to Google Photos. I finally found out how to transfer them. Somebody at Google has been promoted. So they wanted to wield their new power. By making life as difficult as possible for billions of shackled customers. Just because they can. 

 With luck, their empty and completely pointless appointment will disappear with the arrival of AGI next month. Then we can all relax. Because things will finally be working again. Without the weekly change of name. For exactly the same, 10-year-old service, but with four more key presses required. All to make room for 98.9% advertising over content.
 

12.10  I need a rest! I have just demolished an unwanted privet bush. 8' high x 12' across. It was sitting beside the trailer parking area. Once it has gone it can become the trailer parking spot. Clear of the parking area altogether. The privet bush used to guard the old well. I was required to trim the bush at intervals but never too much.  

 Even after two years I am still inhibited against making any new changes to the garden. The whole space goes right back to the northern boundary. Over ten meters more if I needed it. Running for almost the whole 30m width of the garden. Minus the observatory and shed of course.


 It presently consists of a sprawl of willow stems, overhanging blackthorn and a few bushes. A complete waste of space. There is a drop of about a metre just there but tapering away to the west. 

 It would need a lorry load of something to bring it up to the parking area level. If I wanted to use the extra space for a carport. Or just more hard standing for parking. My old telescope piers need to be tidied away first.

 15.00 Misty rain from the overcast sky. Returned from the recycling yard. After delivering a huge mound of privet. Well lashed down. The entire bush has been cut down to the ground and disposed of. The cast iron, manual well pump is exposed for the first time in years.

 Dinner was salad. I had run out of tomatoes.

 

  ~o~

 

No comments:

Post a Comment