21 Mar 2024

21.03.2024 Gravel, isn't it?

 ~o~

  Thursday 21st 42F/5.6C [at 7.30] Overcast after overnight rain. Breezy from the north reducing and going westwards this afternoon. It should reach 10C/50F at 14.00. Up at 6am. 64F/18C indoors. Not sure what to do with today.

  My CT scan is set for the end of April at 9.15. Which is rather early for a ride. Not a complaint. Merely observing that I'd need to be fully relaxed for the scan. They actually mention this in the covering literature. Movement, or a racing heart, will lead to fuzzy pictures. No coffee or tea either.

 Allowing 90 minutes for the ride I ought to be relaxing, on site, by a very arbitrary, 8.45.  So I ought to leave about 7am. Just to be sure of a gentle ride and plenty of time to sit around in the waiting area. Perhaps I will have the Morris back by then?

 Sneaking towards 8am now. I ought to be going for a walk. 

 8.30 returned. I didn't go as far as usual. The sun came out at 8.15 as the sky turned blue. Then it clouded over again. Slightly misty as the sun evaporated the dampness.  

 10.00 Do something! I have halved the price for the dome from 1000kr to 500kr. That's about £100 reduced down to £50. The project has probably cost me 50,000kr or £5000 so far. Now I just want to be rid of it!

 10.30 First I am going to deliver the trailer full of branches. I have already raked the depressed area of fallen twigs and branches. Next is to use the recycling yard open day to be rid of more junk. For which I need an empty trailer. 

 12.00 Trailer duly emptied of branches. I was lucky enough to find the gravel man at home as I drove back. So I asked for a delivery of self-compacting gravel. Meanwhile, a more distant hospital offered me a vacancy for my scan tomorrow morning. Instead of waiting for 5 weeks. I am now expecting a letter of confirmation by Denmark's secure email system. 57km avoiding the motorway. I shall have to go in the old car.

 The gravel man has just has just delivered 8m^3 of gravel. All within one hour. Excellent service! He couldn't quite reach the perfect spot but came close enough. Before his lorry wheels started spinning in my soft, made up ground. I shall just have to be patient and spread it all out in stages. I mustn't lose focus. Getting rid of the untidy stuff in the background is today's priority. 

 13.00 Lunch over. It has become much more overcast. The warmth in the greenhouse isn't enough. Press on with tidying the garden.

 13.40 Time for a rest. The sun has come out. I am breathless and dripping with sweat. The trailer is stuffed with worm farm containers and polystyrene fruit boxes. Which my wife used for bulk seedlings. Two knackered old wheelbarrows and assorted plastic sheet. The latter protecting now rotten logs for a rainy day. One which never came. All horribly depressing but it's done now. I shan't need to deal with it again. I'll give it another ten minutes to catch my breath. Then drive the trailer to the recycling yard.

 14.30 I have decided to contact a local landscaper. To get some idea of the cost of having the gravel spread out for me. A small front bucket loader would make quick work of it. Without my completely exhausting [or even killing] myself. By trying to finish the task in my usual hurried manner. 

 A machine would also compact the gravel far more thoroughly. Than my tromping all over it in my size 46 boots. No doubt an expert will have some sound advice on ground preparation. I am just going to have to accept that I am no longer a septuagenarian superman. 

 17.00 Returning from the recycling yard. Fortunately one of the museum staff was there and came over for a chat. He was big and strong enough to lift an old porcelain sink into the container for me. I was already completely breathless again and had chest pains. Then the old car didn't want to start. Despite behaving normally for the tour into the village this morning. 

 The assisted hospital transport system stops taking calls at 15.00. So I am screwed! I can't ride 60km in the rain! Then ride back again afterwards. I will check the battery and put it on charge if needed. That might be all it needs. The battery is almost new.   

 The battery read 12.87V on my DMM. The Genius 5 charger went up to green in only a few seconds. Though the green light is pulsing slowly. So there's room for a little more charge. I had quite a struggle to open the nearest window to the car. For the extension lead to go out. I doubt it has been opened in 27 years.

 The battery was fully charged. I took out my thermal imaging camera but nothing showed a drain on the main fuse boxes. No doubt there is another fuse box hidden somewhere else inaccessible. I will disconnect the battery overnight to avoid any chance of losses. The voltage hadn't changed after the short pretense at charging.

 I am going with mackerel on toast for dinner. With decorative, halved, cherry tomatoes.

The stove has not been lit all day. 63F/17C in the room. Almost comfortable in my down sweater.

 

  ~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment