29 Mar 2024

29.03.2024 Timber!

~o~

  Friday 29th 41F/5C. Bright start becoming cloudier later with possible light rain. Southerly wind increasing. Up at 5.30. Dozing on the computer, yesterday, was not sensible. They could use YouTube as a general anesthetic.

 6.30  The sun is just rising over the low hill to the east. Today I have to clear the trees I felled. Then move more gravel away from the gap. Through which the tipper trailer will pass carrying demolition rubble. To raise the sunken area to the north of the parking area. 

 7.30 I think I'll go for an early walk.

 8.00 Veiled sunshine and a cold wind. I saw a resplendent Yellowhammer. Amongst many other small birds. The ground was too wet to take to the fields. I made it to the lanes and then retreated. 

 I haven't been shopping. So have missed a third, toasted roll with marmalade. Never mind, as soon as I have finished my coffee. I shall be out there slaving away again. 

 9.30 I need a rest! The felled tree trunks have been cleaned with the chainsaw. Then laid beside the trailer passage. More as a guide than for emergencies. I am trying to limit the level raising area to the right of the board on the ground. To avoid spilling over into the cultivated garden. Where there are desirable, mature bushes. Just to the left outside the picture. A black leafed elder and a Cotoneaster Salicifolia. Both must be 15' high now.

 I have raised the left side of the gravel access area. To improve the level for the builder's trailer. The gravel heap will be steadily reduced or moved. By the time the rubble is delivered next week. I may have to fell more trees. To push the raised area further back.

 The branches are cleared into my trailer. Ready for a run to the recycling yard. Fortunately the garden waste area is open year round. I wonder if the supermarkets are open? Yes, it seems they are. I can restock on bread rolls.

 12.15 52F/11C. Veiled sunshine. Another rest. I am actually feeling hungry. Which is highly unusual. I'll have early lunch. 

 The gravel heap is gradually shrinking back where it matters. To give maximum clearance for a trailer. It is very hard work shoveling or raking. Because the gravel is so sticky and heavy. A few more skinny trees have been cut down. Mostly Fastigiate Red oaks. My wife used to collect the acorns in public car parks. Before they were squashed by the cars.

 The Yellow willows were her work too. She would grow them from pencil sized cuttings. The western boundary is lined with 50' tall specimens. They seem to be fastigiate too. Rocketing upwards but only bushy at the top. 

 They have outgrown the mature larch trees in the shelter belt. I stood a 4m long pole against the base of the trees and then photographed it from as far away as possible. The trees are all at least 24 meters high. Over 52'.

 Even topping the fast growing Leylandii "Waterloo." Which she brought with her as tiny plants in the mid 1990s. Only to have the neighbour try and kill them with his tractor sprayer. Back when they were only a few feet high. 

 They became horribly twisted. Before they finally found their feet again and shot up. The "Waterloo" has splashes of cream highlights in the foliage. The image was taken through the window. From the upstairs balcony room. The prostrate yew has also taken off. Since I felled the huge Horse chestnut two years ago. Previously it was constantly in the dark.

 14.30 Returning from delivering the branches to the recycling yard and shopping. 

 15.00 Time to catch up on my sleep. 

 16.30 Rain. 

 17.00 Lit the stove. The sunshine was so weak. That the greenhouse never became warm today. Only 61F/16C indoors. I'll have to think about getting more firewood logs after the holidays. Only a few days left.

 Dinner was a tin of Heinz Scotch Broth and a bread roll. My wife bought several tins from England. When she was desperate to rekindle her appetite. Alas it was much too late. I wouldn't say I hated the product but will not be repeating the experiment.

  ~o~

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment