3 Jun 2023

3.06.2023 Me, obsessive? 😎

 ~o~

 Saturday 3rd 58F. More, wall to wall sunshine but already windy again. From the SW today. Up at 7am.

 Where shall I go today? Use it or lose it! Regular cycling is good for so many healthy things. Both physical and mental. It ought to be put in the water. 

  The major earthworks to raise the level of a marshy field. Also to provide better access for larger vehicles. There is still a need for a huge volume of soil. To raise the deep step to a gentle slope near the road. The distant excavator is parked near the road. While I am standing at the halfway point across the field. The total distance being over 200 yards.

I can't go very far towards the SW without ending up in the water myself. Though I can re-explore all the lanes near the coast. I have a dim memory of a coastal area I never returned to. There was probably a cheap house for sale back then.

8.00 Time for my therapeutic walk. I never felt cold today as I walked to the lanes. Yesterday, I had to keep my cycling jacket on for the whole of my ride. I had taken it off at 12.00 during a drink and chocolate bar break. Then I only managed a few yards before I stopped to put it back on again. The headwind was just too chilling without it. I saw lots of birds of prey, a deer and several hares yesterday. Only birdsong to report so far today.

 9.15 65F. Both batteries are fully charged. I ought to be ready for my ride by now.

 And so it was. BatteryBoy headed off into the wind. To explore the delights of the southern, coastal lanes. Yet another, deflating balloon was drawn on the virtual map. I reached a quiet beach. Where a solitary family were peacefully enjoying themselves. Right beside a vast camping and caravan park! And no, it wasn't that early.

 View across the water. The sole photograph I took on today's ride. Using my phone.

 Another 78km in 3h10m returning at 13.45pm for a spot of lunch. An average speed of 25km/hr. A mere 79rpm cadence evidence of my unhurried progress. 820m of ascent. Mostly achieved in Sport mode. A new total of 2514km in just under 3 months.

 I had to change batteries at 63km. When the first had dropped to only 20% charge. I had paused outside a rural bungalow. Which provided a rare street lamp. Against which I could lean the bike. In the absence of a prop stand. The owner arrived in his car and clearly saw me as a deeply suspicious character. Despite my overt credentials as a serious cyclist. Clad in the standard uniform of shorts and recycled club jacket emblazoned with sponsorship advertising. 

 He quickly drove in and closed the gate. Then let the dog loose. An ancient black Labrador. Which barked repeatedly behind the gate. After a suitable pause for reflection, I  greeted to the dog in cheerful English. Whereupon it immediately stopped barking. Probably due to linguistic confusion. Being a country dog it wont have had much experience. Of discoursing the fine weather with cycling vagrants and immigrunts.

 There were arcs of bright water scattered right across the landscape yet again today. As the farmers sought to combat the drought with irrigation hoses. More often than not this involved the road, lanes or track being sprayed at intervals. So a fine degree of timing was often involved to avoid an early shower. Including dismounting hurriedly to clamber over a 5" hose draped across my path! A dusty track leading through a farmyard and onwards to pastures new. So I could hardly complain. I was, in fact laughing, at the whole comedic episode. As I hurriedly tried to remount before the giant hose turned strategically my way.

 I saw lots of other cyclists on my travels. Including a whole peloton of club riders. Out training in the gorgeous sunshine. Saddle soreness was slightly reduced today. By lifting the nose of the saddle by a mere millimeter or two before leaving. I am presently working on the tentative theory. That I am trying to slide forwards and this is putting tension on the material. Which trapped between my nether regions and the broad gauge saddle. As yet to be confirmed by independent researchers. 

 I spotted four Red kites in different places today. Plus a harrier pouncing on something in a field and several hares. My face and legs are tastefully pink. I consumed two micro-Corny bars and two tiny cartons of organic apple juice. 

 As I am feeling slightly headachy I am having an extra cup of tea this afternoon. Hoping to avoid dehydration. Besides, it gives me an excuse to enjoy another digestive biscuit.

Dinner was as predictable as usual. I finished off with soup and a roll.

 

 

~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment