4 Jun 2023

4.06.2023 BatteryBoy heads SE.

 ~o~

 Sunday 4th 46F. More bright sunshine but the sky is milky. Quite a lot of softly defined clouds too. Up at 6am.

Both batteries fully charged again. Where can I go today? Right. I have a destination at 42km in a more or less straight line to my SE. A familiar route but well worth going. I

 An imaginative, roadside, potato stall made from a Morris Minor.

 It will be an out and back test of my stamina and should be well within a two battery range. My wife and I often went there on Sunday drives. Though it is years since I was last down there.

 7.15 Now it is becoming rather overcast. Time for a short walk. It was rather cool with a westerly breeze.

8.15. I watched a pair of vividly bright, male Goldfinches from the bathroom window. They were busy collecting dandelion seeds in the garden. It was funny to see them grab onto a stalk and rock back and forth. Then I spotted a Treecreeper on a hawthorn trunk. Morning coffee over. Time to get ready for another ride. The DMI is promising the early cloud will vanish. The satellite picture suggests otherwise. Unless it evaporates. I will be against the wind all the way home.

 14.00 18C/65F.  I made it in good shape to my goal. Hung around for a quarter of an hour and then returned. 95km is probably my longest ride on the e-bike so far. 28km/hr average speed. I stopped for a chat and refreshments at my British friend's house on the way back. Then shopped in the last village I passed through.  

 A cold start to my ride. With a mixture of sunshine and cloud throughout. I kept my jacket and scull cap on. Changed to clear [safety] glasses to use as goggles when the sun vanished. Changed to fingerless mitts for the return journey. A tailwind going. Headwind coming back. I stopped to change the battery as it dropped to 20%. No too much discomfort from the saddle today. A rest break really helps. I wore an old pair of Bontrager bibs.

 I saw several birds of prey again. Including a Red kite. Which was gliding parallel with me and just above the roadside trees. Another hare was sitting in short crops. It lowered its ears as it saw me pass. Plenty of cyclists enjoying their weekend. I was muttering away to myself as a chap went past on his TT/Triathlon bike. His tires roaring to his pedaling rate. 

 There were new cycle paths in a town. Miles and miles of main roads with none at all. Hardly a 30cm/foot wide strip to ride inside the worn-out white line. With crumbling edges to the asphalt everywhere. When selfish drivers brush closely past it is hard to hold a line. Meanwhile the verge is often wide enough for a second or third lane of traffic. I took to the verge on a couple of occasions. To let lorries and caravans pass. There were a few large, American, classic cars around today. Motorbikes in convoys too.


~o~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment