29 Jun 2023

29.06.2023 105km or 65miles.

 ~o~

 Thursday 29th 18C/65F. Overcast with a southwesterly breeze. A grey day with showers possible later in the afternoon.

 8.15 Back from a shorter walk. No pain. Just watching some major landscaping using large machines. A marshy field is being raised to provide greatly improved access to a business. There is something about watching such work that resembles playing on a beach as a child. Just that everything is on a much larger scale.

 The effortless skill of excavator drivers is amazing. Vast 7-axle, tipper trucks repeatedly arrived. To dump soil into heaped rows. While the excavator used a huge bucket to quickly spread it out. A vibrating road roller trundled up and down compressing the soil. The formerly large drop, from the road level visible in the background, has been filled to become a smooth ramp. The speed with which this has occurred is simply incredible. There is hardly any noise except the deep rumble of the vibrating roller. 

 8.45 66F. Time to think about a ride. The movement of the trees suggests the SW wind is much stronger than forecast. I have a potential goal to the NE at a minimum of 50km away. I cycled there on my trike a couple of times in the past. That was when I was riding high mileages. It was a familiar area in the car too. I shall have a tailwind to help me get there. Then a change of battery will bring me home again. With extra assistance if needed. 

 This will be a minimum 3.5 hour ride at my usual speed in Sport mode. I must remember snacks and drinks to maintain my energy levels. There is no free ride on a '45' e-bike. Not if a decent average speed is to be maintained. I can probably use Tour mode with the help of the wind on the way. Which will give the first battery a little extra range for the return trip.

14.35 74F. Back after a 105km ride to the opposite corner of Fyn and back. Four hours in all. Averaging 26km/hr. Average cadence a modest 77rpm. I changed the battery at 80km and 12% charge. I was using a little Turbo mode at the end of the ride to maintain my speed up the hills. 71% Sport mode and 30% of the outward journey in Tour mode.

 I suffered some saddle discomfort in the middle of the ride but it decreased over time. 69% charge left in the second battery. So there is plenty of reserve range if needed. Which ignores my own fitness level and stamina of course. As I keep saying: There is noo free ride if a decent speed is desired on an e-bike. 3726km covered so far. I must surely be getting stronger over time. I certainly feel much more relaxed and skillful at maintaining a line. Riding over tracks has become second nature.  

 I went further north into the city than I had intended. None of the right turns was marked as to destination. So I just kept going until I hit the Nyborg road. The cycle paths and de-marked cycle lanes varied from excellent to absolutely worthless. This is a major 2-way road. With lots of heavy traffic. Being overtaken by a bus or container lorry, within elbow distance. Is obviously not something the powers that be have ever tried. Do they have a chauffeur for their council limo?

 Cycling friendly Denmark? That's not even a joke in very poor taste! Lethal is a much better description! They should be honest and erect official signs saying that only MTBs are suitable on this stretch! I went down one very long cycle path to find a dead end. Backtracking would have been no fun. So I followed a rough track and eventually escaped. The builders beyond had obviously forgotten they had closed the path off.

 I am still looking for potential kitchen furniture in charity shops. Something in solid wood. Which can be painted to lift naked pine into something useful. Still undecided if IKEA is a better way to go. I want some character. Without compromising on practicality. Late lunch, shower and an afternoon nap. 

18.30 I just did three days of washing up to avoid dehydration and hunger. I wonder if I should go over to disposable crockery and cutlery? It's an enticing thought. 😏 

 No chicken and mushrooms. I didn't buy any.  I had toast yesterday. So that's out. Got eggs. Poached eggs, beans and chips? Or boiled potatoes? I have frozen peas instead of beans.. Fish fingers? That was only two days ago. And the chips. Boiled potatoes, peas and poached eggs. The healthy option. 

 I have decided I don't like eggs with boiled potatoes and peas. Some kind of taste or textural mismatch.


~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment