10 Jun 2023

10.06.2023 North'n'south.

 ~o~

 Saturday 10th 58F/14C. Bright and clear but windy. The garden trees are thrashing about in an easterly wind. It isn't supposed to be remotely this strong. Peaking at only 10m/s gusts in the DMI forecast. This will affect my choice of route today.

 7.00 Up at 6am. Time for an early walk. 

 8.00 17C/62F: Despite the blustery wind I wasn't cold. Bird activities were sporadic this morning. A male pheasant was patrolling a spray track. In a grass-like crop almost as tall as himself. His bright red face popped up near the road almost at my turning point.  Causing me to tell him to duck down again. Which he promptly did. He peeked at me at intervals. As I passed by. Walking in both directions. 

  An old mill in the woods. Built in 1777. It was dark red for years and looked authentically and magically medieval. That was before lengthy restoration. My wife and I would picnic in the car. While admiring it from the narrow, twisting lane which runs past. From much the same point of view as the camera.

 The airliner vapour trails were persisting much less than yesterday. The half moon hung quite high in the SE.

 It seems logical to ride north today. If I keep to the narrow lanes I should enjoy more shelter from the hedgerows. Where to go though? I feel like exploring lanes or places I haven't visited before. Or, at least, not for years. I had better have a look at the map.

 13.00 23C/74F bright sunshine and windy from the east. I have just returned from an 80km ride. [50 miles] Through glorious, undulating countryside. Lots of hills and woods and forest. 2h20m actual traveling time. Average speed 24km/hr. Average cadence only 79rpm. 88W my average power output. I stopped on every hour [10, 11 &12.00] for a small Corny bar and a small carton of organic apple juice. This helped to alleviate the saddle soreness. At least for a while.

 I changed the battery on the way back when it fell to 20%. This gave me the freedom. To use whatever power assistance I needed to get home. I was flying down one winding hill. At over 40km/hr, pedaling hard. When I passed a bunch of club cyclists who had stopped for some reason. Probably a call of nature or a puncture.

 I have noticed that the drought is badly affecting short grass but not when it remains long. So I am putting off mowing the lawn until there is some rain. The verge tractor mower was along recently. Every verge is now the colour of pale straw. A potential fire hazard?

 Dinner was chicken and mushrooms with chips.


~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment