16 Jun 2023

16.06.2023 Back up. To the N coast.

 ~o~

 Friday 16th 63F. Bright but with cloud. A warm, cloudy day is forecast. With the possibility of light showers coming form the NE this morning. Light winds from the NW. Up at 6.30 after earlier awakening.

9.30. Had my usual walk. It was already warm. The northern sky was smudgy again. More well defined clouds to the south. Today has a heat wave warning for most of Jylland [Jutland] just to my west. It might reach 27C here today. Though the light rain has been changed to possible thunderstorms. 

 A young chap went past slowly on an MTB with a flat front tire. He may have been on his way to school or college. The steering was obviously badly compromised.

 The e-bike is prepared for another ride. I need vital food items from the shops. Should I include shopping on the way back from a ride? I can't carry butter and milk very far in this heat. Certainly not frozen stuff. It feels like a waste of the day to do only a short shopping ride. A quick trip in the car to restock? It might be more sensible.

10.30 22C/72F. Local shopping completed. Two large bags full. Now to find a goal for a ride. 

 A garden centre almost on the north coast. I have never been there. Roughly 30km each way. Ideal distance. About two hours total ride time. Should be back for a [fairly] normal lunch time.

14.00 24C/76F. Back an hour later than expected. Headwind going. It stayed dry. Mixed cloud and sun. I was determined to reach the sea but kept being blocked by summer house estates. There were official signs for bathing and it led to a steep 45º path down a grass bank! Lunacy! How would a family get down there with a pram or pushchair?

 Finally I found a public access road. Where I could stop and eat a choccy bar and drink some apple juice. The garden centre, I was hoping for, was a flower sales place which I knew well. The name had me confused. Because it was miles from the village of its name.

 67km. 27km/hr average speed. 2h30m traveling time. On the way back I caught up with a girl on her bike and overtook her. Lost my way at a junction and then overtook her again on the correct route. Stopped at a charity shop and then finally overtook her again. She was maintaining a fairly high average speed but at a low cadence. Traveling for miles.

 I shopped at the last village I passed through. While I was bombing along at 40kph. On the main road on the way home. A horse fly landed on my forearm. I whacked it and it disappeared. Not safe at all with cars racing past!

17.30 23C/73F. I have enjoyed an afternoon nap to recover from my exertions. Over 26C/78F upstairs now. Despite lathering myself in a thick coat of 30SPF sun cream before I left. My arms and legs are red again. I'd better apply the after sun cream. Weird, the cream is making my arms sting!

 Dinner was salad with poached eggs.

21.30 17C/63F It is so hot upstairs [26C/78F] that I shan't be able to sleep up here. I am dripping with sweat just watching TV without a stitch on.


 ~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment