25 Jun 2023

25.06.2023 What were they thinking?

 ~o~

Sunday 25th 20C/69F [at 8.30] Bright but rather cloudy again. 

10.00 25C/76F I had a later walk in the heat. Not a breath of wind. Windmills/turbines were standing still. It was perfect in the shade of the roadside trees. Even a light easterly breeze for extra "coolth." Westerly is forecast and now becoming more steady.

 No mad dash back to the toilet today. Though I did have some phantom pain across the shoulders. Two days without taking the Stada Doxazosin. Too early to confirm reduced side effects. The crows are having a scrap in the huge plum trees. I went out to speak to them. It went quiet until I returned indoors. 

 No real plans for today so far. Inevitably I shall want a ride before the weather breaks. Possibly thundery tomorrow.

 14.40 76F. Just returned from a ride to Bogense on the NW coast. Where I drifted around the town at walking pace on the bike. Just taking in the history and maritime connections. Lots of people about. Lots of sports cars and motorbikes. Including a very original BSA 'Bantam." In what looked like worn but original paint. 

 I stopped at a village pond on the way home. Where I was entertained by four half-sized ducklings. They were diving and bathing as their parents looked on. The pond was also home to dozens of dragonflies. Two vintage Harley-Davidsons rumbled past.

 73km at 26km/hr average speed. About 3h30m. 13% charge left in the battery. Mostly Sport mode. With a little Tour mode to stretch the range on the flat and descents. It was hot even into the wind! 

 Countless wild flowers. Miles of roadside poppies but several other wild plants were common too. Many with pretty blue flowers. The Bosch Connect app isn't connecting to my phone. Three days now without any ride data. I am relying on another mapping and route following app.

 I came across this nonsensical entrance to a superb cycle path. Which climbs steeply up from a train station and shopping village all the way to the motorway. The cycle path entry is on the "wrong" side of the road for cyclists leaving the village. A low island provides some protection from speeding traffic as the cyclists cross the road. 

  BUT! The actual start of the cycle path is barred by a 10cm high kerb!! So the cyclist must dismount and bump their bike up over the kerb. Just as the vast majority of crash test dummies [Aka: Car drivers] come hurtling down the long, steep hill at illegal speeds! They can't put a traffic hump just there. Because that would be a breach of car driver's human rights to travel at any speed they choose. Unless there is actually a police car present. As rare as hen's teeth in this part of the world. I have seen one police car in the 3.5k km I have traveled on the e-bike. A speed camera? They haven't been independently invented by a Dane. So aren't allowed. 

  Absolute, raving lunacy! They had only one job to do! To make cyclists want to use the cycle path. To gain safe and easy access away from the racing traffic. They failed miserably and spectacularly! How could this colossal failure not be deliberate? Somebody "official" signed off on this. Somebody working so far above their pay grade they shouldn't be allowed near a broom!

 This particular village seems to be cursed with high kerbs. The Netto supermarket has a high kerb right across the cycle parking space. That takes real bloody mindedness! By a whole series of total, drooling inadequates! 

 As does the entrance to the parking at Meny supermarket. Where I have had to "pull a wheely" on my trike for years! I wonder how many pinch flats that kerb has caused? Was there no pocket change for a tiny asphalt ramp? When they relaid the road? Only Rema1000 has low, cycle-friendly kerbs. And a road, so rough. That it could double for an international, mountain bike, cross country circuit!

 I have chicken and mushroom to use up again. I am thinking of making curry. It will suit the hot weather. 28C/82F upstairs! I had better get on with it! There was so much of it that it took me ages to work my way through it.

 I remembered to take the dustbins along the drive again. 120m uphill. The bin, which was promised to be emptied twice, remains untouched a working week later.

 No more phantom pains after the earlier episode during my walk. We shall see.

 

 ~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment