27 Jun 2023

27.06.2023 Laundry woes!

 ~o~

 Tuesday 27th 15C/61F. Bright and breezy. A cooler, much windier day. Mostly N-Westerly winds. Up in the night at 1-2am. It was too hot [78F falling to 75F overnight] and my head was going around in circles.

 7.00 I have been constantly surprised how stiff my towels have been after a wash. Even when they had been out on the rotary drier in the wind and sunshine.  

 So today I dumped a freshly washed load of towels into the bath. Then added enough clean, cold water to just cover them. I moved the towels around and lifted them in and out of the water. Which soon became too opaque, with soap residue [?] to see the plug in the bottom of the bath!

 I gave the towels a good long soak and kept moving them about in the water. After which I put the towels, in batches, through the small, Thomas spin drier. The resulting ejected water was similarly soap laden and opaque. A soapy scum covered the surface of the washing-up bowl into which the water drains. Just as the water remained soapy in the bath. The towels should really have a second rinse in cold water and be spun yet again. A lot of extra work considering they had already been washed. Then [supposedly] spun by the Whirlpool, top loading, washing machine at a modest 1000rpm.

 What is the answer? Buy a front loading, washing machine and install it in the kitchen? That would need a new electrical socket, plumbing and drainage. Where none presently exists. Though the new  machine could be placed against the bathroom dividing wall. Allowing through-the-wall plumbing. Meanwhile, the Whirlpool top loader is [very] conveniently placed behind the [open] bathroom door. Where it is invisible until an occupant enters and closes the door. There is no room for a front loading machine behind the bathroom door.

 7.20. Going for an early walk. To see if the phantom pains return on day three without the waterworks tablets. 

 8.30 66F/19C. I had modest pain in my shoulders and across my shoulder blades. As I walked briskly to the lanes. It came on twice and faded slowly again. It wasn't obviously muscular nor in my joints. I presume I should restart taking the Doxazosin. Since it can't be clearly proven to be the problem. I usually take the tablets in the mornings. So that is three full days without. I had no ride at all yesterday and didn't exert myself unduly. Though I did pull three wheely dustbins, separately and behind me, back to the house. Unfamiliar exercise?

 I checked the water in the bath on my return. The milky opaqueness had partially cleared. To leave a distinct, powdery residue on the bottom of the bath. I had better examine the options for a "proper" washing machine in the kitchen. Under the extended work surface would bring me close to the plumbing and drainage but no, nearby power socket. This  would remove the option for a proper oven under there. Placed against the kitchen/bathroom dividing wall offers power sockets. Plus easy, through-the-wall plumbing.

 Am I going for a ride today? NE would be sensible. Given the stiff N-Westerly. Or SE into town? It doesn't feel like an ideal day for a longer ride. I have a goal in the NE but it is over 45km away.

 Not yet anyway! After further settling the residue in the bathwater proved to be fine, pink dust. When I finally pulled the plug it settled into waves much like a beach. Before most of it ran away. I should have photographed it before the water fell too low to contain it further. The towels have gone out on the rotary airer. Everything else is dry and has been taken upstairs and put away.

 10.40 21C/70F. Bright sunshine and windy. The thistles and brambles in the garden have been chopped down to ground level. Using long handled loppers. I was sick of the sight of these weeds but kept the solitary Marsh thistle. Which my wife had encouraged for its black stems and foliage. She grew a row of them near the house but only one has survived. They can grow to over 2m high. [Nearly 7'] 

 "Somebody" has to get the strimmer out and chop down the long grass and weeds. The battery mower can't handle long grass. I was waiting for rain and we finally had some yesterday. A desiccated, brown lawn is rather pointless. It's not as if I need free access.

 I intend to check out some larger charity shops for potential kitchen furniture. 34km in very windy conditions. Though I am becoming much more relaxed on the e-bike with every ride. No useful furniture so I brought back a few groceries.

 The local sand and gravel supplier has found himself another, huge, front bucket loader. So I was finally able to buy some crushed concrete for the drive potholes. I am too old to load the trailer by hand with a shovel any more. 

 Then I spent an hour shoveling it from the trailer onto the dips in the gravel drive. Before becoming too tired to continue. My shoulders and back started complaining. It is an unnatural exercise to push a shovel. Into a highly restive medium above waist height.

 Dinner was fish fingers and chips. Well, it was better than toast!

~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment