5 Jun 2023

5.06.2023 Plant hunting?

 ~o~

 Monday 5th 12C/53F at 7am. A bright start but it has now clouded over. It supposed to be constant sunshine. Reaching a steady 20C/68F all afternoon. Light winds today. I woke at 5am and spent an hour trying to go back to sleep. Then slept until 7am. It very quiet except for bird noises. Lots of to-ing and fro-ing.

 8.00 13C/55F. With my Tuesday-Thursday taken up, I need a riding goal for today. One which includes shopping at some point. The local supermarkets have gone over to own-brand goods. Which do not interest me. I am a creature of habit and know which organic porridge I like for breakfast. If I buy a bag of theirs I shan't want to throw it away if I don't like it. Then I'm stuck with it for ages. 

 My left hearing aid is getting weaker and weaker. Or, I am getting even more deaf in my left ear? I have replaced the domes, filters and batteries. No change. Conductance is normal if I brush my fingers over the aids. I have a wax removal appointment early on Friday. So I can ask the independent experts.

 Time for a walk first. It is slightly misty. The distant, but familiar landscapes are absent.

9.30 17C/62F and bright sunshine again. I knew immediately that there was something different today. Almost no traffic in the rush hour? It must be a bank holiday. It is. No point in aiming for a specific shop chain then. They will all be closed. Nope. One rural branch is open. A beautiful ride there too. Though I could go tomorrow on the way home from my cooking class. 

 That leaves me without a goal. Aha. I have just the thing! A rural garden centre near Odense. Perfect! Gorgeous countryside and quiet lanes. A suitable distance with plenty of potential routes. I haven't been that way in quite a while.

 I used to go there for my wife on my trike. After she stopped going out in the car. There was always some rare plant or seeds she needed. It was usually a wild goose chase but I enjoyed the ride.

 13.15 21C/70F. Mostly sunshine. Just returned from a 57km ride. I visited two garden centers. Danish: Planteskole. Literally a plant school or nursery. 

 It would be difficult to find an area more beautiful than that above Tommerup Station. All lumps and bumps and hollows. Isolated cottages and farms. Winding lanes offer countless steep climbs and descents. Avenues of trees, sprawling woods and copses everywhere. Keen cyclists and tourists enjoy the challenge and I saw lots of them. The e-bike made it all effortless. Provided I pedaled briskly in a low enough gear. There is no free lunch even with a battery.

 Dinner was chicken and mushroom curry. I made far too much and it was a struggle to finish it all.


~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment