15 Jan 2023

15.01.2023 Storm!

 ~~

 Sunday 15th 5C/41F. A storm is promised for early this afternoon and on through this evening. Bringing showers and winds gusting to around 60mph. Peaking around 4pm. The SW, going westward, wind direction is increasingly favourable. Provided no tall trees or large branches come down. 

 I have removed some trees and tall hedges since the last bad weather and hope it hasn't increased my vulnerability to gusts. I have a highly beneficial shelter belt of oak, larch and other trees to my west. Though the low lying ground is marshy just there. So prone to uprooting of some trees over the years. The marshy ground is probably the only reason for the trees' existence. Otherwise it would have been ploughed in the past. Now increasingly unlikely with new landowners.

 Up at 6am to escape from reliving memories of my dear wife. Feeling tired and aching. The "waterworks" pain continues to improve with rapidly decreasing frequency. The shoulder pains have subsided. I had an early breakfast. 

 The stove had to be lit because the wind is dragging the heat out of the house. Only 14C/57F in the lounge. A more comfortable 17C/62F upstairs. Still lower than the recent average. I have put on a fleece jacket over a thick jumper and have plenty of warmer clothing if/when needed.

 8.30 Light enough to see clearly. I am going to risk a walk. 

 9.20  Morning coffee. I made it to the junction with the lanes. Had I continued it would have meant turning straight into the wind. Further reinforced by the saddle just there. So back I came. The traffic was light as befits a Sunday morning. The near half moon hung in the southern sky. Which was mostly clear. 

 10.50 I have been attending to the observatory. 60mph gusts can do a lot of damage. So I checked all around and secured some plywood panels. Back indoors just in time. Before a cloudburst with hail and fierce gusts passed over. I have parked the car in the shelter of the house. Just in case there is any flying debris. 

 12.00 I need a nap.

 13.00 Lunch over. It should be gusting to 23m/s already. Average wind speeds do not seem high until a gust comes along. With peaks of 27m/s between 16.00 and 17.00. The wind vane hasn't a clue were the wind is coming from at times. As it rotates unsteadily over 360º. Then it settles on the SW and the anemometer spins to a blur. Rain is expected between 14.00 and 20.00.

 19.00 No problems with the wind as far as I know. I have been watching Netflix under a blanket all afternoon. The stove has been really struggling. I'll probably have toast for dinner again.

 Poached eggs. I couldn't face anything else.

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment