11 Jan 2023

11.01.2023 Firelighting breakthrough thanks to the sweep.

 ~~

 Wednesday 11th 7C/45F. There was wind in the night. I could hear things banging around. Which is very unusual since I fitted the new bedroom window. It seems to block almost everything which goes on outside. The old window passed traffic noise and car doors closing even at a great distance. 

 Up at 5.30 after nightmares and the agony of trying to trickle into the bucket at frequent intervals. At least I wasn't wet with sweat this morning. The temperature had dropped overnight from 68F to 64F. [20C-18C] I have a gnawing stomach ache again.

 I can't light the stove because the very kind sweep is coming between 8&9am. I now have a lot of the firewood stacked against the rough southern wall. In the lounge nearest the stove. Anything which helps to dry it out will be helpful. 

 In retrospect it would have been far more useful if the logs were slimmer. Larger logs hold their moisture for far longer. Fatter logs need far more air to combust. While two smaller logs of the same overall volume enjoy more air around them and catch light readily. Smaller logs are also far easier to load through the stove door. The logistics of taking the logs outside to split them with a maul are not inspiring. So I am using the rubbish, timber scraps from the racist timber yard to boost the larger logs.

 6.00. A cup of tea with a bowl of muesli. I had better make an effort to tidy the lounge. There are lots of boxes of potential charity shop stuff littering the floor. Perhaps I can stack the boxes and throw a curtain over them? It's not as if I can go anywhere even if I do sort it all. I'm stuck at home until I have my health issues fixed.  

 8.00 Had a shower and cleaned the bathroom floor afterwards. Muddy footprints on the tiles. Tidied a little in the lounge so the thoroughfare is clear.

 8.40. The sweep is delayed for an hour. So I'll have morning coffee.

 9.40 Brightening up and the wind is dropping. I'll bring in more logs from the greenhouse.

 10.40 The gentleman sweep has been. Performing his usual thorough sweeping of the chimney. Followed by a full clean of the new stove. He showed me how the firebricks come out and where to clean behind them. Then the curved stove pipe access hatch. 

 He showed me an amazing way to light the stove without a scrap of paper. Criss crossed kindling sticks. Lit a firelighter block and placed it in the middle of the kindling. Then place a log on top and we watched it catch fire! He agreed that my latest trailer load of firewood was too big and still too damp. I shall have to split the largest pieces in manageable batches. I can barrow them outside the greenhouse to somewhere safe from flying logs.

 The heavy cloud has cleared to watery sunshine between the clouds. 

 11.20 I'm going to risk a short walk. The wind was stronger than I would have liked. So I limited myself to the neighbourhood. 

 14.30 I ate a normal, bread roll lunch and then had a nap.

 Dinner was half a tin of soup and a roll.

 

~~

 

No comments:

Post a Comment