28 Jan 2023

28.01.2023 Pot-holing.


 ~~

 Saturday 28th -1C/29F. Starting with a white frost. A cool, grey day is forecast. Up at 5.50. It feels cooler indoors too.

 07.00 The stove is lit and going well. 

 I should make a trip to the recycling yard. Now that the trailer is empty of firewood and available for other uses again. 

 Predawn drama.

 Some asphalt road scrapings would be useful for the heavily potholed drive. The same material is the longest lasting so far. On my stretch of the drive. It doesn't seem to turn to mud quite so quickly after repeated rain.

 9.10 Back from my walk and morning coffee is over. It felt cold at first so I increased my pace to brisk+. The frost provided a white coat over most things. A gentle westerly breeze made naked hands painful for photography. I was treated to a gorgeous, blood red sunrise! Even the sunlit hedges looked briefly maroon. It wasn't to last though. The grey lid slid over and that was that. There is even a very light pretense at snowfall now.

 12.15. I delivered a load to the recycling yard. Including the felled conifers from the front garden. Then collected a trailer full of asphalt scrapings. The local sand and gravel man has sold his huge front loader. So I had to fill my own trailer with a shovel! Before returning  home to fill the potholes on the shared drive. The material is dirt cheap but very tiring doing double the work! 

 I emptied the trailer but will need time to recover. Before collecting more asphalt. Or possibly crushed concrete instead. It doesn't go far when the potholes are so big and so numerous. The previous neighbour had a tractor. So he scraped the gravel drive smooth at regular intervals. By towing a length of RSJ as a transverse blade. It worked well.

 17.00 3C/38F Grey and damp. Lunch, an afternoon nap and some browsing completed.

 Dinner was mackerel on toast. Followed by soup and a roll. 

 It probably sounds nuts but I have been following several Korean dramas series. These dealt with death and aging in quite an accessible way. Which allows me to question and analyze my own behaviour and feelings. Whether any of this can be claimed as therapy I am not sure but I found them quite helpful. 

 Watching films and series using subtitles in a foreign language simplifies the characters. Where a series in English would not have the same value. Being too direct and triggering too many subtle auto-responses to the characters, their voices and the story development.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment