16 Jan 2023

16.01.2023 Coffee? Black, white.. or spider?

 ~~

 Monday 16th 3C/38F. Dark strips of cloud against clear sky. Cooler outdoors and in. Up at 6am. Breakfast and then lit the stove. 

 Is there a forensic pathologist in the house? I took my kick-starter coffee mug back downstairs to make a first cup of tea. As I held the mug under the running tap I noticed a large, foreign body. A spider with a body size similar to one of my fingernails! 

 Had it been in there from the very start? Had it been scalded to death as I made my first and only black coffee of the day? Had it bumped up against my teeth and tonsils in the consumption of said cup off coffee? Or had it fallen into the empty cup afterwards? While the mug was idling on the shelving unit. Beside my computer/casual dining chair. How will I ever know? 😱 

 I am expecting a phone call from the doctor with the result of my urine analysis. Fortunately, the tablets he gave me have cleared most of the symptoms. Further plans are afoot today but I'll add the details later. How do I shop when I still have no appetite? Should I attend this week's cooking classes and the museum? I ought to get back into the routine after the holiday break. It all feels a bit distant and almost unreal. 

 9.15 Morning coffee. I have sorted the laundry basket. For more victims of the rough and tumble of the washing machine. I finally brought the large, unused storage tubs into play. They were meant for storing my wife's clothes but those have all been recycled.

 So now I have clear tubs of jumpers, casual/work trousers, cycling clothing and winter underwear. To name but four. Instantly recognisable without labelling or turfing the contents out to find anything. 

 Storage is another matter. They are all holding down the floor in what still loosely passes for a bedroom. A bed surrounded on all sides with storage. I would actually prefer drawers in cabinets but that means finding something new. It would have to be capacious and reasonably attractive. I am sick of worm-eaten cast-offs from the charity shops. Chipboard and plastic is the stock-in-trade of the discount big sheds like IKEA and Jysk. Is it sturdy enough for a reasonable working life?

 17.45 After a visit to my English friend this morning I went to town this afternoon. Hoping to find new washing up bowls but returned empty handed. The doctor rang to tell me my bugs were normal. He was happy to hear I was on the mend. I am trying to find a better setting for receiving phone calls. 

 The hearing aids take over the audio via Bluetooth but put a quiet, distant voice somewhere off to my left. I had to quickly remove the aids just to be able to answer the phone. Not ideal! In retrospect my better right ear would have done the job without help but it was muted in the aids. 

 I'll ring myself from the landline. Hmm. I should [probably] have chosen "Phone" on the mobile phone screen. I was able to hear myself clearly then. Why was it so weird earlier?

 Dinner was baked fish fingers, pasta and tinned tomatoes. 

 

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment