14 Jan 2023

14.01.2023 Laundry and kitchen woes.

 ~~

 Saturday14th 6C/41F. Showers this morning. With more solid rain this afternoon. A storm warning for tomorrow afternoon with continuous rain.

 Up at 7 after a restless night. My shoulders are already starting to hurt from restarting the tablets.

 8.45 Breakfast consumed, stove lit and the sky is/was clear in places. A half moon hung low to the south earlier. Now swallowed up by an increasingly leaden overcast. I really ought to have a walk before the rain starts.

  9.45 Back from a short walk around the neighbourhood. It was breezy but dry. A large bird of prey was calling and drifting around the area. The stove was still going well on my return. Weak sunshine is trying  to break through. I keep getting pains right across my shoulders. Last time I had built up to ten tablets before the pain became intolerable. This time only two before the pains started again.

 12.15 I was feeling very sorry for myself when I returned from my walk. I tried having a nap but sleep eluded me. So I launched into deep mining the laundry basket. Several pairs of fleece trousers were dragged screaming to the washing machine and treated to the "Delicates" cycle. Closely followed by a full load of jumpers. Duly handled by the "Wool and hand-wash" whir-bang-whir cycle. The machine is currently imitating a knackered, 1950s diesel, dump truck.

 The results are still waiting to be assessed. I haven't had the nerve to try tormenting either garment type. Until I hit a particularly low ebb and no longer cared. Many of the jumpers were brought with us when we moved away from Gravely Blighted in '96. They were surely long overdue for retirement. There are many more jumpers to be found in the charity shops. Provided I am patient and picky. 

 Talking of replacement. The washing up bowl is horribly discoloured inside and out. My minor obsession with tinned tomatoes and soup has rendered a rust belt. The previous bowl doubled for laundry duties until it was befouled by the toilet adhesion saga.

 I must start a search for several bowls of similar proportions and variations in colour. Not out of vanity but for identification purposes. I wouldn't mind a new plastic draining board/tray. I found one amongst the detritus but is permanently stained. With rust I think. Resisting all my attempt with a scouring pad to appear pristine again. 

 Silicone mats are sold for the purpose but I have no official draining board. The present lash-up involves the aforesaid, ribbed plastic tray. Underpinned by a series of scouring pads. To bring it up to level with the inset sink. Adding a silicon tray on top might deform the pads into submission. Besides it would be even more clumsy that the present palaver. It is fortunate that I have no regular visitors to my kitchen. I couldn't stand the shame!

 The draining board is essential to house the assorted saucepans. I tried draping the pans over the crockery. This always resulted in the complete collapse of the drain rack. It took only a month [or two] of such idiocy before I finally found the old, plastic draining board in the greenhouse. 

 12.50 I had better think about making some lunch.  

 14.00 I was going to go shopping but couldn't summon up the will.

  Dinner was beans on toast. Still no appetite for an evening meal.       


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment