12 Sept 2022

12.09.2022 Keeping the heat in.

 ~~

 Monday 12th 50F. Calm. The sky is freckled with small clouds. More cloud expected later. Rain tonight.

Up at 5.45. The new window is not misted up this morning. Perfectly clear. 

 Adolf Pootin's genocidal war on the entire world has escalated energy costs. Literally through the roof. So I had better get the surrounding, window framework insulated. Before overnight temperatures begin to drop. 6C/43F is forecast for the beginning of next week. 

 The longer I can wait before lighting the stove, this autumn, the better. The heat I don't lose doesn't have to be replaced. 67F indoors is comfortable this morning. With a light jumper on for sitting at the computer. As soon as I start moving I'll be too warm. So I had better get moving.

 The greenhouse outside doors no longer need to be opened. To shed the excess, summer heat. It can still get too warm out there. Even when overcast and temperatures are in the low 60sF/15C. I forgot to open the doors yesterday and was shocked to see over 80F/27C out there.

 I have no data on the amount of background heat the greenhouse can provide as the weather gets colder. I have never had the shade nets to play with before now. The front hedge has always been far too high to let any sun reach the greenhouse. Particularly as the sun drops lower in the sky. Even if it doesn't get warm out there. It will still provide a useful buffer for most of the front [southerly] facade.

 The sloping ceilings of the balcony room are finally, fully insulated. This closed space will also act as a buffer. The interior doors will be left closed. Which they always have been until now. My wife had covered the glass triangle in thick white curtains. The winter sun could never reach these westerly gable end windows anyway. Due to the huge horse chestnut tree. That has now gone but there is still a tall shelter belt further back. With a row of larches beyond my wife's towering willows. 

 These trees will all be bare in winter. So will let some sunshine through. I don't think the new landowners have any interest in felling these larches. There really wouldn't be much point. The trees provide year round decoration and privacy to their view. The ground the larches stand on is fairly marshy. So can't be cultivated.

 7.15 49F. Time to stop prattling and go for a walk to the lanes. 

 The sky was largely clear. With bright sunshine. The aircraft vapour trails were quite persistent today. Leaving crosses across the sky. Lasting for up to a quarter of an hour. I saw a kestrel, a robin and a warbler. A tractor arrived to plough a roadside field.  

8.45 57F/14C. The bedroom window had misted over outside on my return. Then cleared again as the sun reached it. I'm off to cut some rockwool to size. To fit snugly into the window framework.

 9.20. I have fitted 150mm in two layers of overlapping rockwool in the open framework. It is better to stagger the joints to avoid cold spots. I replaced the doubled polythene as a DPM for the moment. I haven't decided on a wall covering yet. The original, decorative plywood is no longer available. Even if I wanted more of the same. I suppose I could use the woodwool-cement boards. There is also the matter of the attic's sloping ceilings. A new surface is badly needed.

 I am going into town to get some wooden wedges for the window. Plus a roll of narrow, fibreglass insulation to stuff around the edges. Which will be followed by a round sponge strip. I want some new curtain poles too. The original, antique poles are massive, gilded and have woodworm.

 12.00 64F/13C. Overcast. Just returned from town. I found everything I needed. The curtain poles were ridiculously expensive for a bit of cheap alloy tube. I'll see what I have lying about at home.

 13.00 65F/13C. Bright overcast.  Lunch. There was a generous length of the insulating and foam sealing materials. So I was easily able to seal from both sides of the window frame. Inside and out. The idea is that the window and its glazing, will not be damaged. If the building flexes or settles. 

 16.45  With the threat of heavy rain overnight I decided to tidy the garden. That took an hour and a half and I still haven't finished. A trailer full again for the recycling yard. Which isn't open until Wednesday. When I am at the farm museum. I could take the trailer with me. Put its tarpaulin cover on to keep it looking tidy. Then deliver the trailer load on the way home. 

 19.00. Despite it being 66F downstairs I was feeling cold. So I went round and closed all the windows which were on the catch. They had been that way for months. To help to ventilate the house. I added a second jumper to be more comfortable.

 20.15 Dinner was weird. It looked weird too. First I fried some mushrooms. Then I poured whipped eggs on top. The scrambled eggs stuck to the pan and had to be scraped off. Once on the plate I poured half a tin of chopped tomatoes on top. The result was a complete mess. Even a bit sloppy. But still quite tasty. 

 Tomorrow is my first day at the Tuesday cooking class.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment