10 Sept 2022

10.09.2022 Arse over tit!

 ~~

 Saturday 10th 57F. Heavy overcast.  A grey day in prospect. A warning of possible cloudbursts. 

 Up at 6am. Aching all over! That new window is DARK! Unexpectedly so. This will probably be less obvious once the side panels are opaque. 

 I will have to seal it up outside today. An easterly wind with heavy rain would be a disaster! Today starts off with easterly winds. Then turning north east. Not strong, but enough to be a potential nuisance.  

 I took a deliberately brisk walk to the lanes. My back, hips and legs were quite painful at the start but steadily improved. A few crows, rooks and jackdaws foraged on the stubbled fields. They were more nervous than usual. Perhaps the more desperate need for food, in winter, forces them to take more chances. 

 I need to go shopping or their will be no lunch. I'll visit the builders merchants while I am there. First I shall quickly secure the outside of the new window's surroundings with builders paper. Heavy, black, slightly tarry stuff. Which lasts for years even when continuously exposed to the sun and weather. These days they use costly wrapping foil off an even more expensive roll. I don't need a roll for one tiny gable.

 I intend to cover the upper gable end in one-on-two timber strips. The old and ugly, grooved plywood was on the eastern, gable end when we bought the house. I always wanted to replace the old, single glazed window but it never happened. For umpteen reasons I needn't go into now.

 10.00 First sign of sunshine. The new window is safely buttoned up against possible cloudbursts. As expected, the window looks much brighter from the inside now. The contrast against the inside of the black builders paper was all it required.

 I'll see what is available in timber strips. To clad the upper gable end. I have some thick 125mm/5" wide larch, terrace boards from another project. However, I would much rather use something narrower and much lighter. 

 I shall be working at the upper limit of my two stretch, builders ladders. So I want to make life easier and much safer for myself. Sawn finish softwood will easily outlast me. Particularly if I paint it with wood protector. 

 There is one problem with planking a gable end. The cost! £1.50 equivalent per running meter. The original covering is grooved plywood. The problem with that is the serious mismatch from side to side. There are also horizontal joints. Which break up the natural flow. There was never any need for this. Except to use up sheet materials most efficiently.  

 Using a full sheet each side and centring them would avoid eye catching discontinuities. This can be achieved by first filling the space above the window. Then a full sheet either side with the roof slope cut away on the top outer corners. The lower, outer triangles fill the remaining space. [See image alongside.]

 Unexpected overlaps at the edges X of the upper triangle and side sheets would have to be routed with halving joints. Plain butt joints look crude and unfinished. Anything which catches the eye lowers the overall appearance. Continuity of the vertical grooving must be maintained.

 13.15 A short shower. Rain on the new window shows I was sensible. To have covered the openings around the window with builders paper when I did.

 13.30 Thunder!

 15.30 Still rumbles of thunder and showers ongoing. It is likely to rumble on until after 18.00. With the bad weather moving slowly south westerly.

 Well, that was stupid! I went across the yard to measure a grooved plywood sheet. I had to cross some wet timber. Which I had moved to access the 2x6 for the window framing. My feet shot out from under me! I landed on my rear end and gouged my [other] shin. Not badly. No blood. A dark red scrape. It just stings. What an idiot!

 Dinner was a mixture of items I had in stock. Or wanted to use up. Diced breast of chicken, mushrooms, pasta, tinned tomatoes and baked beans. The pasta is ideal for soaking up the juice from the tinned tomatoes. I should have made double the amount. The chicken and mushrooms can be mixed in the same frying pan. I desperately need more saucepans. Which meant I had to use a large pan for the pasta. Which only needed a few minutes after bringing all that water to the boil. Very wasteful!


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment