11 Sept 2022

11.09.2022 Call me "Misty."

 ~~

Sunday 11th 50F [7.30]  Misty, but bright and cloudy. With sunny periods forecast all day long. Golden sunshine at 7.35.

Up at 6am. No ill effects from yesterday's silly fall. Just the usual aches and pains. Ready to be walked off.

 I looked up at the new window last night and was shocked how high it suddenly seems. The house has taken on a new sense of scale. More like two floors. Rather than one and a half. [Living attic upstairs.] 

 A peculiarity of the new [triple glazed] window is that it mists over on the outside at night. Perhaps it needs cleaning? The rectangles from the manufacturer's sticky labels are still showing clearly this morning. The glass is very dusty both inside and out. Mostly from being in storage in a large and dusty shed at the builder's merchants. Because they miserably failed to inform me that it had been delivered.

 None of the other [double glazed] windows have dewed over. The indoor air temperature is 68F/20C upstairs. One expects the outside of a triple glazed window to be cool. Since it does not receive much warmth from the interior. The window frames are of wood. 

 I measured the spacing of the grooves in the plywood cladding. They make it slightly difficult to surround the window neatly without routing half laps. I had hoped the grooves in the top panel would reach each side of the window if it was brought to one edge. See yesterday's drawing. The boards are wider than the 1m square window at 1220mm. So there is plenty of width to play with.

 8.00  52F/11C. Time for a walk. The mist has quickly cleared.

 9.30 59F/15C. I walked down to the village against thin, Sunday morning traffic. Then along the track up to the woods. Where several cowardly pheasants were [briefly] guarding the entrance before fleeing.

 I followed the forest edge uphill. Until I could turn back downhill again. At the far corner of the prairie.  A pair of deer were grazing as I neared the summit. They stopped to watch my progress. Before vanishing into the undergrowth. 

The image alongside shows most of my route. The corner of the field is at top left. The track turns sharply left. Before straightening out for a couple of hundred yards to reach the woods.

 The beautiful, golden sunlight was all too rare and fleeting. Making the capture of magical moments in the landscape all but impossible. Though it didn't stop me from snapping away. One hundred and thirty three times so far. I was gone for 65 minutes. A good workout for relieving my tired muscles.

 Now I need a few essentials from the supermarket before lunchtime. Which means I really should ride to the village. Not just take the car.

 12.00 62F/17C. Just returning from the shopping ride. Well laden. Cold crosswind going. Lighter and warmer on my return.

 14.15 66F/19C. Quite bright at times but with huge clouds. I have been cleaning the windows. I started with the new window. The cloth became instantly black with each small pane. I discovered that it is easy to clean the outsides from the inside. That saves dangling from a ladder.

 Then I moved onto the huge windows out on the balcony. Followed by the glazed, double doors out to the balcony.  It took several microfibre cloths [cut into quarters] to get every pane clean. I shall have another go later to remove the remaining smears.

 18.30 I have spent a few hours in the observatory capturing images of the sun between the almost solid clouds. 

 The forecast is for autumnal weather to arrive after Tuesday. Which probably means much cooler, wet and windy. It was  good job I installed the window when I did.

 Dinner was salad.

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment