6 Sept 2022

6.09.2022 Indecent Tilthing.

 ~~

 Tuesday 6th 58F/14C. Bright but very cloudy. Another sunny day is promised. Up at 6.45. Haircut day. I need to find a Danish sheep shearer to trim my beard first. I found one. It was called Baby-Liss. 

 No walk, yet, but I did some laundry, tidying, showered and still had change from half an hour. The sunlight is flooding the entire attic this morning. After I took down the tired old, patterned curtains and antique curtain pole. Still no contact from the third-time-lucky, carpenters.

10.30 62F/17C, bright overcast and windy. I collected another trailer load of compost before I had my haircut. Then I spread the compost on the parking space when I came home. I am about to steamroller it with the car. 

 Tomorrow's promised rain doesn't look likely. Probably Thursday will get only a few millimetres. Friday gets a good soaking. I might as well spread the grass seed now. It won't come to any harm for want of instant rain. It will be easier to work into dry compost.

 11.30 Again I flattened the fresh compost with the car. Then used a spring tine, grass rake to get a tilth. Followed by seed sewing by hand. Aided and abetted by the wind. After that I raked in four directions with the grass rake. To cover the seeds and help to flatten the area. I suppose I shall now have to sit out in the middle and guard the seeds from the birds. I deserve a cup of tea after all that.

 Whoops! Grass grew like weeds on the previous hardcore of the parking space. Now I read that 4-6" of soil is needed to allow room for the roots. Just to grow a decent lawn. What about an indecent lawn?

 14.10 There is a major flaw with modern business. Customer services is anything but. 50 minutes or more, waiting time on the phone, to enquire about THEIR lack of service? Does not compute! 

 Whoops! [again] Up to 3" [70+mm of rain could fall on Thursday! Cloudburst warning!  I had better build a dam to protect all my hard work on the parking space! 200m of gravel drive empties straight into our garden!

 I just spent an hour digging a small [temporary] trench across the drive. To drain any run-off into a trench in the field. I lined the trench with plastic guttering filled with several, short lengths of steel, water pipe. Enough to support the car as it [slowly] crosses. 

 I need to look at proper drainage units. To allow vehicles to cross safely. The old drainage sections didn't last long. Cheap DIY superstore items. Probably intended to be cast into concrete. I only have gravel. There is very little traffic [mostly me] but it needs to be done properly.

 Dinner was cheese on toast with tomatoes. As illustrated, for those who have never seen it before.

 ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment