23 Sept 2022

23.09.2022 Doors and drives.

 ~~

Friday 23rd 48F. Rather cloudy. With some pink in the NE. A cloudier day, though with some early sunshine, is promised. Light breeze from the south. The wind turbines have been still on my morning walks of late. Up at 6am. There is a tabby cat hunting in the drive. 

 No fixed plans for today. I have to fit architraves to several doors. Which means a visit to the builder's merchant. To look for something appropriate in mouldings. I'll need several widths of material to suit different doors. A traditional profile would be most appropriate for this old hovel.

  A walk to the lanes under a cloudy sky. The sun still struggling to break through. With a minor detour up and along one of the few, even quieter branches. A large grey heron took off from its unlikely perch on top of a tall birch. Then a Red kite flew over. A few jackdaws were foraging out on the fields. 

 Cool on my hands again but soon forgotten as I warmed up. The wind turbines were turning slowly. I had a wave from a Tesla driver when I hopped onto the verge on a blind corner. The verges in the lanes had been roughly trimmed. I walked on the rough grass to clean my boots of yesterday's mud. Built up from walking on the edges of the fields. The soil contains clay and is very sticky when damp.

 I have [almost] solved my computer storage problem. I used Samsung Migration software to clone the PC onto an external SSD. he internal SSDs will have to be swapped. Then I can reload the new, larger SSD data from the external T5. Well, it's a plan. It worked for the laptop.

 It seemed to work fine on the PC too. It started up the same as ever and is now installing W11. Presumably a coincidence. When I unplugged the external T5 the PC switched itself off.  So the PC must still be running on the T5. It recognises the new 2TB SSD under Storage but it doesn't show under This PC. Nor does it show up in Samsung Magician. 

 There must be a final step required to make the new, internal SSD the boot drive. So I can safely remove the T5. It didn't happen. I wasted hours on it. The SSD appears in Devices but nowhere else. Samsung's own software can't see it. I followed a trail across the Internet and YT but nothing worked. I went into the Bios but the new SSD didn't show there either. Nor in Drives Management.

 This morning I bought a load of architrave mouldings. To make a start on framing around the doors. I started in the lounge because that is the most visible. The first one took ages. Because the deeply contoured tiles pushed the wood out of place. 

 I spent ages with routers, various planes and sanders. Then I discovered I had no panel pins or small nails to fix the thing in place. Another trip in the car tomorrow to buy some. I have it clamped at the moment and it looks quite amazing.

 18.00 Stopped for a late cup of tea. Dinner will be fish fingers, pasta, tinned tomatoes and baked beans. I could even throw in some frozen peas with the pasta. And did. 😊

 

~~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment