18 Sept 2022

18.09.2022 More painting.

 ~~

 Sunday 18th  47F/8C. Clear and breezy. With only a few small clouds. Showers are promised. 

 Up at 5.30. Aching back and hips. From painting? Or no walk yesterday? Probably both.

 Pretty flowers in the field stubble. No idea what they are.

 64F/13C indoors. I am wearing my indoor down jacket. To fend off the day when I need to light the stove. I have been wearing this old jacket for years in winter. Whenever the old stove could not cope with heating our open plan hovel. 

 Meaning that the stove is downstairs in the lounge. With an open stairwell leading to the open plan attic. Where the bedroom is in one half. The TV and computer are in the other half. This arrangement provided the greatest warmth. 

 The insulation above the attic is 40cm over the narrow, flat ceiling. 30cm over the sloping ceilings. I fitted the Rockwool myself from diagonally staggered 100mm layers. To avoid cold spots. The down jacket is badly worn but has the advantage of lightness, softness and silence when I move. Many down jackets rustle noisily when the cloth rubs against itself. 

 I have filled the small holes in the walls of the front hall. Which opens into the greenhouse. Next is painting on the sealer. Which is meant to stop the following paint from being sucked into the porous surfaces. 

 The [rear] entrance hall, which I painted yesterday, could almost get away with one coat. Just a few thinner patches. It is very bright out there now. The overall white has not hidden the flaws. Which went unnoticed when it was dull, cement grey and dark out there. The architraves will hide a lot of these "blemishes."

 6.50. I had better go for an early walk. Before the showers arrive. 

 8.00 Walked to the woods, turned right and uphill along the cliff face of beech trees. Right again when I met the summit hedge. Descended by the direct route to what is [loosely] called home. 55 minutes.

After morning coffee I retired to the observatory. Though it was short lived. The sky became opaque due to huge clouds. Eventually leading to overcast. Back to the painting.

 11.00 56F/13C. Overcast. I have sealed/primed the right wall of the front hall. The opposite wall has the electrical consumer unit and the meter. With areas above it in need of plastering. No point in attempting to paint that wall at this stage. 

 Then I painted all four of the rear [entrance] hall walls again. This time I used a small roller. It went quickly and well. Without the wrist ache of wielding a 2" brush. The second coat on the ceiling can wait until later.

13.00 Lunch. Mostly overcast and breezy. Another half hour wasted in the observatory. Watching the clouds pass over the sun.

 Snow is reported to be lying in unsteady and thundery weather in North Jutland today. I have a shopping list but wonder whether I dare risk going on the trike. Against the cloudburst warning.

 14.30 54F/12C. Overcast and raining steadily and increasingly heavily.

 I have painted the first coat of white on the right side wall in the front hall. The double, airing cupboard doors are already white but it looks more like an undercoat. Or just a first coat. The hall ceiling is of profiled, untreated, pine boards. The three glazed, internal doors are all plain pine. More painting to do. Lots of taping to do too. Both sides. That's an awful lot of small panes!

 15.30 I drove in the rain to the shops.

Dinner was equal amounts of mushrooms and diced chicken breast. They shared the frying pan with the tomatoes. The peas and pasta were processed together in the same saucepan. Delicious. The camera flash has caught the steam. Making the peas and pasta look soft. I have just realised. I could have added a poached egg or two. 


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment