6 Dec 2023

6.12.2023 Forget COP28. The Earth is officially terraformed.

 ~o~

 Wednesday 6th 32F/0C. Snowing! I took a quick snap by the outside light at 5.20am. 

 It should be museum day but, yet again, it has snowed. I haven't a clue what I would do if I did manage to get there. It is an 8km walk taking 1h45m in good conditions. The snow is expected to continue all day and well into this evening. Heaviest snowfall peaking around 8am this morning. Tapering off only slowly. Possibly turning to sleet or rain later.

 I haven't cleared any snow around the house until now. It wasn't deep enough to be much of a nuisance. It would usually melt on its own. Not this time.

 It is official: 2023 was the warmest year on record so far. Unprecedented and record breaking heatwaves, storms, drought and floods are occurring right around the world. Not to worry though. We can always breed plenty more headline victims to make up any losses. So that's alright then.

6.30 I have lit the stove. 63F/17C in the room.

7.45 It is just beginning to get light. Everything is plastered in snow. I keep refilling the rack in the room but the logs get used up at an alarming rate. Over one hour of burning and the temperature has only risen by 1ºF! It is proving difficult to match the air supply to conserve logs. Too little and the fire goes out. Too much and the logs are burning too rapidly. There seems to be a minimum heat output.

 9.30 Back from a short walk to check conditions. Around 6" of heavy snow is lying. The roads are slushy with tracks. I tried to clear some of the snow around the entrance door. It was surprisingly hard work. The snow compacted and did not want to move. So had to be shovelled aside to make a short path. There is no way I can clear the drive manually. So it is lucky I don't need to. I shall just hope for rain to wash it all away.

 I spent the day browsing or dosing. Feeding the stove. Or relighting it when it went out. Unfortunately there was no rain to wash away the snow. Unless it has been raining while it was dark. Update: I just turned the outside lights on. The roof of the Morris Minor is clear. So it must have rained to remove 6" [15cm] of snow.

 Dinner was salad. I was lucky. There was just enough lettuce left to make a salad. I added a couple of poached eggs to ensure they didn't go out of date. I'll need to do some online homework. Before I attempt anything with the organic, beef mince I bought. I presume it will need to be fried.

~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment