30 Dec 2023

30.12.2023 Under the bonnet[s.]

 ~*~

 Saturday 30th 38F/3C. A better day is promised. Even some sunshine. SW winds increasing by this afternoon. Up at 6.30. I have gone back to using the summer duvet. The winter one was simply too warm. This may change as much more serious winter frosts are forecast. There is even talk of heavy snowfall.  

Six new weather records were set in Denmark in 2023. Not least the extreme increase in rainfall. Despite an early drought.

 8.00 64F/18C in the room but feels colder. Stove lit. I didn't go out yesterday. So I need to shop. The nearest stockist, of my favourite tea, has ceased to do so. Making that supermarket and shopping in that village, much less interesting in future. 

 9.00 Brought in two more baskets of logs.

 10.00 39F/4C. The sun rose behind the trees at about 9.20. As I plodded into a cold SW breeze. The flooding on the back field was even higher but at least a foot [30cm] above the beck. So could easily flow away if it rose any higher. A brown and buff harrier went over as I turned for home at my usual point. The traffic was very light.  It was slightly warmer on my hands on the way back. The blinding sun easily forgiven for showing an appearance. 

 I ought to go to town for a battery. So the old car can be better relied on. The logs in the greenhouse are down to just a few days. I need the old car to tow the trailer to the timber yard. Unfortunately the roads are still wet from yesterday's heavy showers. Which means salty spray if I go in the Morris Minor. Hopefully the salt residue has been much diminished by the heavy rain. The latter has caused renewed flooding out on the fields. An alternative would be to order an identical battery online. The dealers in town don't stock that particular make and model. The savings between premium labels and discount isn't worth the risk of a shortened life.

 I just tried to buy the correct battery online. It was never meant to be. The shop is closed at the weekend. With New Year closure on top. Then the website payment form would not accept my passwords. I tried ringing the services which handle online payments but it does not apply to them. I must contact my bank. Yes, you've guessed it. Not open at the weekend or on Bank holidays. What else? 

 I shall have to drive into town and buy an alternative battery, which I don't really want and at a much higher price. I have enough logs to last into the end of next week but risk running out as the outside temperatures drop. If I insist on buying a battery online I must wait until Tuesday to order. With at least one extra day for delivery.

 12.00 A bright, sunny morning. The old car started instantly I turned the key. The battery is reading 14.44V on "idle." I thought I'd check the rotor in the distributor. This needs the air filter cover to be removed to access the distributor cap screws. Rusted cross-head screws won't budge. Apply penetrating oil. I doubt the rotor or cap has been changed in years judging by the dirt and rust. The same probably goes for the spark plugs and injectors.  

 Gentle use of a small socket set easily removed the screws. The rotor was fine. Slight signs of chalk on the contacts in the cap. Nothing obviously wrong there. I warmed up the car and then  tried pulling away in 4th with the handbrake on. No loss of power or other misbehaviour.

 I warmed up the MM and added more antifreeze. A turquoise, rubber tray/mat "borrowed" from the bathroom fitted the MM footwell perfectly and matched the colour scheme. That will save unsightly mud and leaves collecting on the MM's light blue carpet.

 13.00 42F/6C outside. 70F/21C in the greenhouse! 72F/22C in the room. I can let the stove go out until later. It all helps.

 18.00 73F/23C in the room. I have returned from a shopping trip to the village in the MM. I couldn't put it off any longer. The roads were dry. So offered minimal risk to the MM from road salt causing rust. 

 I was unusually adventurous and bought sausages, broccoli and salad items. I am thinking of having broccoli with fish fingers tonight. It was excellent. More salt on the broccoli next time.


~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment