17 Dec 2023

17.12.2023 Wind stopped play! Saddle level.

 ~o~

 Sunday 17th 46F/8C. (9.00) Very heavy overcast. Mostly dry but strong westerly winds forecast for this afternoon.

 Up at 8am after an awful night. I woke from a bad dream about my wife and a thunder and lightning storm. I was literally shaking with cold but with no good reason. The room was still warm and I was wearing long underwear. Then I couldn't go back to sleep. Bad memories kept me spiralling downwards into a bottomless pit. 

 So I got up at 1.30am and spent an hour and half watching YouTube videos.  Finally back to bed and woke at 8am. Which must have seriously upset my sleep routine. I had better avoid long naps in an attempt to catch up.

 Not a great picture! The B67 at full [riding] height on the XLC T010 dropper post. This dropper post has an external cable remote operation. An internal cable, remote operating system would not work on the Moustache frame. 

 An earlier version of the XLC dropper post had the operating cable reaching right up to the saddle. This later model cable ends at the seat clamp. Allowing the post to move unhindered and looking much smarter.

 There was also the matter of insertion depth and stack height. You can see how low the dropper post mechanism is in/on the Moustache frame. 20mm from as low as it would go. It was quite a struggle to find a dropper post with enough drop and small stack height for my needs. Without requiring a very long cylinder hidden inside the bike's seat tube. There is little free depth inside the Moustache's seat tube. Stack height affects how low the saddle will go on the bike. Important as one teeters at a traffic light. Without a handy pavement kerb.

 This particular dropper post has a lot of unwanted, rotational freedom. Which many will (probably) find objectionable. That said the rise and fall mechanism has worked flawlessly so far. Some will not like the XLC's large, shiny handlebar lever. Which is clamped at right angle to the bars. Inline levers, in black,  are available from other manufacturers. I didn't research this option too deeply. So I cannot confirm compatibility with the XLC cable and the dropper post mechanism's cable pull requirement for release and locking.     

 9.00 62F/17C in the room and I have just lit the stove. I ought to go for a walk before the morning is over. Getting up so late pushes my habitual routine forwards by a good couple of hours.

 9.40. Back from my walk. I didn't go far. Windy, and it forgot to get light this morning. Depressing to say the least. I watched some gulls being buffeted as they soared untidily across the wind. The roads are dry. So an early ride would be doable. Though not nearly so much fun as a still day with sunshine. Even if it was much colder. The wind is picking up to 20m/s gusts later. That must be close to 45mph. The forecast graph begins to steepen markedly at about 12.00. So I had better find a goal before it is too late.

 10.15 There are already some fierce gusts! The ride is off. 

 10.45 I rested the front wheel of the Moustache on a piece of scrap plywood to make the bike level front to back. Then discovered my new saddle's nose up setting was about 5-6mm. This was measured with a short [39cm] builder's level resting on the nose of the B67 saddle. A job requiring several hands if the bike must be simultaneously supported upright. A leaning bike would give a completely false, level reading on the top of the saddle. 

 The actual measurement is not vital. Except to confirm the setting next time the saddle is removed. [Assuming the bike is on level ground or floor each time.] Failure to check the bike's level will lead to serious frustration! Not everybody carries the necessary hex key to make saddle adjustments en-route. I wouldn't leave home without a full set of hex keys. [Aka. Allen keys] Remember to let the dropper post rise. So you can easily reach the saddle clamp's, hex socket screws. This will also protect the bike's paintwork as you struggle to reach the screw heads. 

15.15 It has been very dark all day but increasingly so after lunch. Very windy too. My nice neighbour came over with some lovely biscuits. He has returned my ladders. Which he borrowed to put up Xmas lights to outline his house. Very pretty they look too.

 We had a long chat as the living room rose above 21C. I like to think that chatting in English may further his career one day. Well that's my excuse and he enjoys speaking English. While I could manage in Danish. The conversation would not flow remotely so effortlessly. I really need to fit a door knocker. Or a bell? Because I never hear anybody calling. Luckily I spotted him through the window. 

17.45 Sunday dinner looms. I am trying to get around to cooking chicken and sausages together. Boiled potatoes [or mashed] peas and carrots with gravy might work. I don't have any mushrooms to stretch the chicken on its own. It all worked out well.


~o~



No comments:

Post a Comment