16 Dec 2023

16.12.2023 Brooks B67 v Contec Pt.2

 ~o~

12.30 I just rode once around the rural block. About 4 km with the wind roaring in my hearing aids. Stopping twice to lift the saddle nose slightly more. Subjectively, the B67 feels smaller than the Contec. The Contec leather is quite slack now. That could be the difference I feel. The B67 is not noticeably slippery. Though I could shift my position as desired. The sense of fixed location on the saddle remains. Though not uncomfortably so. 

 Unfortunately the greenhouse floor isn't level. So the exact degree of nose up will have to be checked with the bike on a level surface. The greenhouse makes a handy and well lit workshop out of the cold weather.

 I now feel as if I am sitting too low. With my knees too bent at BDC. The Sorel boots may be higher in the heel and sole. So lifting myself off the saddle at BDC may be inaccurate. I might have a ride into the village after lunch. The Brooks still looks too shiny and new on the e-bike for that vintage look of the Contec. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

 14.30. Back from a ride to the village. It was blowing hard, with mist and misty drizzle. The saddle isn't too uncomfortable for being brand new. Even with a strong magnifying glass I still can't read the Brooks instructions. Printed in pale grey, sub-microscopic-text on white paper. Heads should roll! 

 I had better go online if I want legible instructions. 16.3km so far. I found myself slipping slowly forwards and needed to slide back again. More nose up required. 

 17.30 Brooks basic instructions: Apply Proofide to the top, the edge and the bottom of the saddle leather. To ensure proper breaking in and protection of the leather. Job done. Using my fingers in a warm room as usual. The warmth helps to spread the wax. I usually leave the Proofide untouched overnight. Then just buff off the top if I am going for a ride. Otherwise I just leave the wax to soak in.

 It smells nice and needs soap to remove any excess from your hands. Which means it should probably be helping to waterproof the leather. Except that it shows rain spots almost from the very first drop. Stop worrying about it. Your body will protect the saddle while you are riding it. A cover will keep it dry in the rain when you aren't on the bike. Don't ride with the waterproof cover on though. It is uncomfortable!

 I've tried all sorts of oils on old saddles and they aren't better than Proofide. Some oils will soften your saddle into a worthless, sagging mess. A horse saddle isn't remotely a bike saddle. A bike saddle is in tension. A horse saddle isn't. I've tried horse saddle oils too. 

 Get the bike saddle leather too soft and you quickly run out of tension adjustment. The pressure points will sag out of shape. Bringing bits of your bod into contact with the saddle in places it ought not to. The leather can't read your mind. Think of the saddle top as a hammock. Get it too loose and you will be riding on the seat post or frame. Don't over-tension either! You want some give when you sit on the saddle. That can only come from breaking in.

 Dinner will be chips and fish fingers. A few fresh, cherry tomatoes will make it look more like healthy food. Several billion don't have any choice.

~o~

 

No comments:

Post a Comment