21 Dec 2023

21.12.2023 Storm Pia!

 ~o~

 Thursday 1st 43F/6C. A severe storm is going to cross Denmark today and overnight. Winds will be west to north westerly. My best protected direction provided the trees aren't blown over. The gusts are expected to peak at 30m/s [67mph] around 20.00 this evening but will have remained very high all day and will continue all night. The gales are forecast to gust to over 20m/s [45mph] until after lunch on Friday. Not being able to see anything outside in the dark does not contribute to peaceful sleep.

 Up at 6am after waking a few times. 

 7am. 62F/17C in the room but it feels colder. Stove lit and burning well. I ought to make sure I have enough logs in the room to avoid going out into the greenhouse. I'll have to check around for wind sensitive objects outside. Perhaps park the Morris Minor in the shelter of the end of the house. 

 I just hope  the mad hoarder's junk scattered across the field to my north west does not take off. Half a dozen, halved and open sided, site offices could act like spinnakers! With luck the neighbour's new drive will act as a physical barrier. Helping to contain flying or rolling objects. Before they reach the protective trees.

 7.30 66F/19C in the room. It will be another hour before it is remotely light enough for a walk. It is already raining.  

 9.00 67F/19C. Very heavy overcast and raining hard. Winds still light. Well, that was irritating! I had filled two wheelbarrows with the smaller stuff from the last trailer load of logs. Unfortunately the Hall's lean-to greenhouse has four, worthless roof ventilators. Which drip constantly during rain and don't lower the temperature one iota when it is sunny. 

 It seems I parked one wheelbarrow perfectly to catch the drips from the ventilator above. So there was a 2" deep pool of water in that wheelbarrow. Half the useful wood scraps are now wet and will have to be dried from scratch.

 12.00 Brightening up to brief sunshine between clouds. Still no wind. Tidying. Everything is so badly organized. I have lost a large box of assorted drinking glasses. Did I donate it to charity? I really can't remember. How can I offer any visitors a drink? 

 If I get rid of most of the empty boxes, or nest them, it might help. I/we always felt we should keep the boxes when we bought new stuff. In case something had to go back. Some boxes are years old. So there is no return under guarantee.  

 12.30 I got rid of some boxes and found two storage tubs of mixed glasses. Lots more stuff to donate to the charity shops. There will be more if I continue. Even though it makes me very depressed to handle my wife's valued possessions. Built up over a lifetime of visiting charity shops, flea markets, secondhand stores and antique dealers. 

 It doesn't really owe me anything except memories. Of her delight in finding something she liked. Probably nothing of high value. As far as I am aware. Never anything expensive. Always something interesting or pretty. Or unique.

 22.30 I am hardly aware of the storm so far. It was quiet until this evening. Then I could hear a subdued roar outside. Not wearing my hearing aids helps. Dinner was fish fingers with Fettucini pasta, peas and tinned tomatoes.

~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment