22 May 2023

22.05.2023 Into the wind.

 ~o~

 Monday 22nd 14C/58F. Overcast and windy. Some sun is promised for this morning. Up at 5.45.

  9.20 20C/67F This morning's walk was quite magical. Walking between the high, protective hedgerows. I was surrounded by a sphere of birdsong of every character. 

 The feeling, where the hedgerows have been cleared by the farmers, is completely different. It was breezy but not cold. Just for a change I didn't need to put my hands in my pockets. 

 Still deciding where to go today. I had a complete rest from riding my e-bike yesterday. No obvious aches and pains. The easterly wind suggests I head that way. To allow the wind to help me home as I begin to tire.

 15.00 74F/23C I am never sure of wind direction once on the bike. My forward motion confuses the issue. 89km today averaging 26km/hr. 50% Tour mode and 50% Sport. A short stretch of Eco on the downhill to remind myself how it felt. 82rpm average cadence. 

 I rode a more direct rural route to get to my goal. An excellent garden centre in Ringe. I am still looking for a particular tree for the garden. Prunus "Kursar." A flowing cherry with bronze leaves and dark pink blossom. Nobody in Denmark lists it for sale.

 Returning along the converted, rural railway, cycle path between Ringe and Korinth on the way back. Six lone cyclists approached along the narrow, asphalt path. Mostly girls or women. So I took to the grass on the side each time to let them pass easily. Nobody caught me from behind and I never saw another rider in my rear view mirror. I was averaging 30km/hr. The were birds wherever I went. Kilometers of lilac hedges in bloom.

 I was comfortable in a short sleeved racing jersey all day. Returning still in good shape and hardly saddle sore. I ate two small Corny bars and drank two small cartons of apple juice while I was out. Changed the battery on the way back. Despite being an hour and half late, for lunch, I didn't feel hungry nor particularly tired. I wore my thickest, padded 'bibs.' Racing shorts with padding and fixed shoulder straps. 

 The broad gauge saddle was a  bit 'grippy' at first. Due to a residue of Brooks Proofide. Which I applied two days ago. I had polished it off with a microfiber cloth before leaving but the leather was still "sticky." This wore off over the course of the ride.

 I stopped at a supermarket, on the way back, to buy coffee. A chap rode up on a very sophisticated, long wheelbase, carrier, e-bike. A Riese and Müller, Load 75, with full suspension, Bosch motor and all the trimmings. This design was once called a LongJohn when they were just pedaled. I sold mine only recently. He had the same ABUS helmet but with the visor fitted.   

 I am considering dinner choices. It could be [lazy] toast but I have mushrooms and chicken in the 'fridge. Which ought to become something and soon. Curry? Not sure about that. A fry up? I had chips yesterday. So best not to repeat that. With gravy and boiled potatoes? A belated Sunday Dinner? Doable. I'd better check whether the mini carrots are still edible. Only a few frozen peas left. 

 It all worked out perfectly. Long, slow cooking while the potatoes simmered for 35 minutes. They could really have done with another five. Though they never went off the boil. 


~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment